Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
58 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 »

Re: John's 1935 1201 Coupe for Two or Four Passengers, RHD in Tasmania
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
Great, thanks gentlemen, will do.

Life has been hectic for the last couple of months and I've had very few chances to work on it. Looks like there will be few opportunities this side of Christmas to make progress. I'm very keen to roll it outside to pressure clean the crud out of the block next; but that probably won't be before January.

John

Posted on: 2016/10/11 19:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
From what I can see there's very little sediment in the pan. Looking upwards I see nothing up there which is not surprising as gravity takes care of that. With little in the pan I would expect the same in the valve chamber.

Posted on: 2016/10/11 19:57
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
That's encouraging, thanks Fred. I actually took off the valve covers as previously advised in this forum, back in May. They all looked okay to my inexperienced eye, so I just put the covers straight back on (pics attached). Should I have cleaned the valves or done anything else in there?

Also, please excuse my ignorance but how do you "remove and clean the oil pump screen"? Mine has a degree of freedom of movement but it is not obvious to me how it comes off, and I don't want to force it and risk damage. Does it screw out, or is it some kind of bayonet fitting? I've just left it in situ for now.

Thanks again, John

Attach file:

jpg  (185.00 KB)
126022_57fd9631a9aa4.jpg 1632X732 px

jpg  (268.65 KB)
126022_57fd9640a75d4.jpg 1632X1074 px

Posted on: 2016/10/11 20:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Leaving the valve chamber alone will be just fine. There is no need to pressure wash the innards of the crankcase, the minor amount of deposit will cause no harm.

The oil pump screen is held in by the access plate, with the pan off just pull it down, a dull screwdriver may be helpful just don't puncture the screen. With the condition of the pan I don't think you'll find much there.

I think you have a solution in search of a problem.

Posted on: 2016/10/11 21:36
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
Thanks again Fred,

And sorry, I should have been more clear about the proposed pressure cleaning; it's the water jacket of the block that is in need; not the crankcase. The water channels are an absolute nightmare.
Unless you've an alternative solution?

Cheers, J.

Attach file:

jpg  (240.89 KB)
126022_57fdaefcb9d87.jpg 1632X1224 px

jpg  (357.00 KB)
126022_57fdaf0f9c38e.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2016/10/11 22:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Pressure wash, probe and scrape with coat hanger wire screwdriver etc, pressure wash, probe etc., repeat

Posted on: 2016/10/12 12:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
J. I like following your post, very informative. Maybe I missed something but I think I would use a strong shop vacuum to clean out the loose stuff first. Then us a small wire brush or a dremel with a wire wheel. An air compressor would be helpful also to blow the debris out. I'm sure Mr. Kanter is more knowledgeable than me about such things but not sure I would use a pressure washer at this stage.

All the best

Posted on: 2016/10/12 19:33
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JMc
See User information
Thank you both,

DD, I like your idea of vacuuming up as much as possible of the loose stuff first. I also intend to drop-sheet the area extensively before hitting it with the pressure cleaner; I don't want to spray rusty liquid all over the car.

Main problem right now is that I just can't seem to get at the car lately; life is too busy and there are other priorities to balance. I really want to get all the preliminary post-hibernation tasks finished and have it ready to test-fire by mid to late January. I'll keep you posted if I make any progress in the next few weeks.

Cheers, John

Posted on: 2016/10/12 22:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
JMc: Recommend removing the head and water pump so block can be thoroughly cleaned. Good time to clean head and inspect pump. How is the radiator?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/10/13 11:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
With the looks of the block I'd 100% recommend backflushing the radiator at a minimum. Remove the shutter thermostat and you can see the condition of the top of the tubes

Posted on: 2016/10/13 12:28
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved