Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Prewar Clipper AC
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm sure it's a longshot and would depend on the cooperation of an accommodating owner and photographer but I figure it's only a few keystrokes to ask.

If any prewar Clippers having AC happen to be at the Meet would someone please be kind enough to take some decent photos of the unit showing as many of the trunk, package shelf and vent area details as possible along with a few dimensions. Also any information on how the return air is done.

If that doesn't work out then I've been led to believe the conventional bodies used the identical evaporator unit and vent. Dimensions and photos of a regular body would probably work as well although I think the clearances to the trunk sheetmetal and exact location it sits might be different because of the trunk shape.

Recently made a halfway decent looking copy of the 56 AC and before that a decent Frigidaire lookalike for a 54. Still have a mind to try and duplicate what the original factory look of AC would have been on my 47 if Packard had made it available. Only problem with that idea is I have general photos but very little detailed information of how it fits and sits.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 23:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Prewar Clipper AC
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I'm almost positive the routing of everything is identical to the conventional cars. We used to own a 1942 Clipper with air. I think the evaporator in the trunk was identical, but can't say for sure. Certainly the vent was the same.
I think someone on this forum got some photos from Hollingsworth's car that was shown last year (?)... or the year before.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 8:05
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe it might have been JW who posted a photo of the car and is one of those I have. A help but the problem I'm having is none of the regular photos I've seen have any angled views showing the sides of the unit to any great extent. The connection to and photos of the vent are mostly obstructed by the trunk opening and seat back. Don't recall any showing where the intake air is collected. The only info I see on that is in an article for conventional bodies saying "the rear seat was blocked up to provide air flow under it" but no other details.

If there were a couple of photos taken from various angles I can get an idea of the depth, width or placement in relation to known body structures. Those combined with some overall dimensions would be a big help.

About the best I have at the moment showing a few of the details are in one of the magazine articles of a so called MacArthur car and in an old article from the North Texas CCCA region magazine.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 8:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I never even thought about return air flow, as many times as I've looked at the factory diagram. I now see what you're talking about. I guess I should remove my rear seat and take a look.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 11:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH, have you considered tracking down the current owner of the alleged MacArthur car and asking him for direct help? For such a well-known vehicle I wouldn't think it would be that hard to identify the current owner.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, I PM'ed you with info on the AC equipped 41 Clipper.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/21 15:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, a friend here in Austin has a 54 Cavalier with factory air. Is there anything here that interests you? I can get photos and measurements.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/21 22:14
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm fairly familiar with the 53-54 offering but there is an inquiry in the "It's good to be king" thread on that particular unit. I don't have many good photos since it was long before digital cameras when last I was around them. If you could improve on those photos I have posted and fill in some details am sure that would be of interest to Jim.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 22:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The owner is on vacation now and I will talk to him when he returns and get some photos and measurements of the system.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/21 22:29
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information

Posted on: 2016/11/1 16:26
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved