Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1930 Packard Oil Seal?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Going through the paperwork that came with my 740, I came across a 2014 work order from a mechanic who fixed the brakes, packed the wheel bearings and R&R'ed the oil pan.

The work order says he replaced "one oil seal" with a $14.00 part from NAPA. I've been through the Service Parts List and can find no reference to an oil seal. Also, I understand that no Packard built before 1940 had a rear main seal, but relied on the slinger alone.

Is there any other part on the car the mechanic could have replaced with a NAPA oil seal?

Posted on: 2017/6/4 21:02
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 Packard Oil Seal?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps he called it an oil seal but it was a wheel bearing grease seal? That would see a logical conclusion since the wheel bearings were serviced.

Posted on: 2017/6/4 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I'd suspect the seal is misidentified; it probably was a wheel bearing grease seal since the order states that a bearing repack was performed.

Owen beat me to it by 7 minutes, lol!

Posted on: 2017/6/4 22:24
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
That sounds logical O_D and Don. Many thanks. Still learning a lot about this old car.

Posted on: 2017/6/4 22:28
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved