Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 122

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brake Drum Studs/Pins
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Are the studs/pins on Packard brake drums replaceable and, if so, does someone reproduce them? How are they attached? I'm talking about the single stud or pin that each drum has for aligning and holding the wheel in place white putting in the lug bolts and I have a drum with it broken so want to replace it if possible. In this particular case, it is a 1951 Henney-Packard drum but I'm sure that doesn't particularly matter as it appears to be the same size as those on my 1954 Patricians.

Posted on: 2017/11/6 15:45
 Top  Print 

Re: Brake Drum Studs/Pins
Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
the alignment stud is really not needed, the back end it riveted over and new ones are not avail.

makes it marginally easier to mount the wheel.

Thanks
James From
kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2017/11/6 20:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don, the demand for those pins must be about as close to zero as you can get so I can't think anyone would ever consider making repros. But any machine shop or hobbist with a lathe should be able to knock one out in 30 minutes or less.

Posted on: 2017/11/6 20:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you to both of you! One reason it came up was that on another comment posted elsewhere on this site it was suggested that they were threaded in but on mine, they do look swadged over on the back like a rivet so I thought it more likely that they were pressed or shrink-fit first. Also, at my age and with arthritis, holding up a 7.50 X 16 8-ply wheel and tire with one hand while aligning lug bolts is not possible (and I prefer originality) so I need to have these in place.

Posted on: 2017/11/7 2:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Hi Don; Bruce Blevins makes studs for tire changing which work great on the post 32 cars. You might call him (810) 287- 7722 and see if his thread are the same as your needs

Posted on: 2017/11/7 9:47

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
See if you can find a longer lug bolt, or piece of "all thread" that fits your drum. Cut a length of the "all thread", or cut the head off of the lug bolt and screw the threaded portion in a few threads to act as a support while you screw in the other lug bolts. Remove the piece and replace with your last lug bolt, then tighten all.

Posted on: 2017/11/7 9:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
Thank you to both of you! One reason it came up was that on another comment posted elsewhere here it was suggested that they were screwed in but they do look swadged over on the back like a rivet so I thought it more likely that they were pressed or shrink-fit first. Also, at my age and with arthritis, holding up a 7.50 X 16 8-ply wheel and tire with one hand while aligning lug bolts is not possible so I prefer to have these in place.

I can positively, absolutely assure you that at least one of my V-8 Packards had the pins screwed in, not peened over. Absolutely, positively. There was a tiny hex fitting around the base of the pin. I removed them with a small socket wrench and kept a couple in a little bin of clear plastic slide-out drawers to show to people back when who wanted to argue this point. Absolutely, positively. No idea how many were made that way or when or any other details. But they did indeed exist.

Posted on: 2017/11/7 10:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I played with a 55 parts car today, and every stud was broken on the drums. It is a pain to mount tires without the pin. I will be looking for a long bolt/all thread for future fun.

Posted on: 2020/11/29 0:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved