Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R-9 overdrive not engaging now.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jameson
See User information
The OD unit in my '47 Super 8 has always worked since I've owned the car, but the other day it just stopped. No dash light, no engaging at speed, no clicking, no nothing. I had pulled off the highway and stopped at a shop to get my new tires balanced and that was the last time I could get into overdrive, with a major trip coming up in a few weeks so I'm a little baffled (and irritated, because something seems to break or fail every year about this time). I did take the cover off the firewall-mounted relay and made sure all six wire connections were clean and put back on tight, but I've not checked any other connections. While the cover was off I tripped the far coil and the other one clicked shut on its own so hopefully this was a sign that there is power to the box (or is it?). Am planning on getting underneath the car tomorrow morning before I go to work to see if any of the wires leading to the governor/solenoid are loose, although those wires were replaced about a year ago or so and new connectors crimped on them. The fuse under the hood was replaced also and is the correct one for the car. Anything else I should check while I'm under there? Thanks.

Posted on: 2018/8/26 12:55
1947 Custom Supper Clipper 2106
 Top  Print 

Re: R-9 overdrive not engaging now.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The governor providing ground thru the lockout and kickdown switches brings in the relay you probably pushed down. Can you ground terminal 5 of the relay box and have them come in? Do you hear the solenoid clunk or make any noise at the same time? If so the problem is in the governor or that series string of switches. One problem others have had develop is the lockout switch located on the end of the dash knob assy rides against the rod as the knob is moved in or out. A groove can wear in the plastic button and if it wears deep enough the lockout switch plunger doesn't move far enough to close the switch. The switch is also a known issue with intermittent OD operation as vibration can make the switch open and close if plunger is worn to the point contacts are barely closed.

If you pushed the double contact relay located in the box between terminals 1 and 4 in the photo it should bring in the other relay as well as the solenoid. Since it apparently did bring in the second relay the box has power but did you hear any noise from the solenoid or did you notice if the light came on? The first relay feeds power to the second relay, terminal 4 of the box and out to the light and solenoid terminal 4. By going thru the coil of the second relay and then out, voltage is also delivered to terminal 3 of the solenoid. Both terminals need power for the solenoid to come in and stay in. If 4 does not have power the solenoid cannot pull in and if 3 does not have power solenoid will not stay in but will rather try to rapidly pull in and drop out making a horrific noise.

If you have power on both terminals but the solenoid does not make any noise or try to come in, assuming the pull in coil is OK there is a set of contacts inside the solenoid that could have pitted or burned so that power is not flowing thru the coil. The contacts in the solenoid were a serviceable item and do pit because of the heavy current and arc developed when they open to drop out the pull in coil as the solenoid plunger extends fully. The hold coil alone is not strong enough to bring in the solenoid on its own.

You mentioned connectors at the governor and solenoid being replaced but does your car still have the two piece loom with the original black plastic inline connectors located about 3 ft from the OD or on the X part of the frame roughly under the drivers foot area? Those connectors were known to cause problems too. Assuming there are no breaks or disconnections, if the connectors are corroded inadequate amperage or voltage to the solenoid could also be an issue.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.84 KB)
209_5b82f3cfcda4d.jpg 640X573 px

jpg  (41.37 KB)
209_5b82f80c94481.jpg 600X425 px

jpg  (66.44 KB)
209_5b82f82220d6e.jpg 1197X673 px

jpg  (88.92 KB)
209_5b82fab1ea28b.jpg 1054X884 px

Posted on: 2018/8/26 14:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jameson
See User information
Thanks Howard, for guiding me through what appears to be a very comprehensive and complicated system of engaging Overdrive (probably why they went to the R-11 version afterwards). I will get back out in the garage and see what I can find -- when I tested the relay last week both relays activated as I pulled the coil closest to the carburetor (but not the other way around), but did not hear the solenoid on the governor make a noise, nor did I check to see if the dash light came on. On the list now. Cheers!

Posted on: 2018/8/27 9:40
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jameson
See User information
Well, I checked all the connections under the hood again -- tripping the relay box by hand did result in the main solenoid clicking, so at least there is power to the main control. Looking at the switch on the overdrive cable, the two wires were not that tight so I reconnected them and tightened down the screws, but not before touching one of them to the cable itself (the green finally came on). I didn't have time to check the solenoid connection or the governor but I imagine the problem lies in that part of the electrical equation. Now I just need an engineering degree and a stiff drink to figure out the rest...

Posted on: 2018/8/27 18:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If I understand correctly that you accidentally touched one of the lockout switch wires to ground and the solenoid made noise and light came on that does prove the problem is between the relay box and the governor. Fortunately no damage was done on an R9 but if it had been the R11, the wire touching could have resulted in a short and blown fuse.

You can connect both wires at the lockout switch together to prove whether that switch is the problem. If it is the plunger is probably worn. If the serrated lock washer is still on, the tabs can be bent down and switch unscrewed, washer removed and switch put back. That will lower the switch assy in the bracket so the worn spot is not an issue for lots more miles. If the washer has already been removed then you will need to find a good switch. I don't know of anything modern that will fit nor of a way to repair the plunger that won't come loose and possibly jam the rod inside the bracket.

If the lockout switch turns out not to be the problem I would go to the governor next. You can ground the governor wire and if all the other switches are OK the relay will work and you will hear the solenoid again. Internal governor contacts could be the problem or there might be a loose or corroded screw holding the back of the governor which is connecting the small metal jumper going to the contacts to the case. If the screw is loose or dirty the contacts may not have a good ground.

Kickdown switches usually don't give much problem but if you do need another, the original two terminal switch for the R9 may be harder to come by and expensive. If you are not worried too much about authenticity you can get an aftermarket 4 terminal universal switch at Napa. The two contacts next to the plunger would be the ones used for the R9. Cole-Hersee makes a two terminal switch but you would need to change connectors on the Packard wiring for that one.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.94 KB)
209_5b84a230079e8.jpg 1340X546 px

jpg  (43.72 KB)
209_5b84a40d04a91.jpg 640X357 px

Posted on: 2018/8/27 20:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jameson
See User information
Well, I connected and re-tightened the screws on the lockout switch on the cable just above my right knee today but I did notice that the knob and shaft were a bit loose, so I adjusted the switch slightly with an open-ended wrench for good measure. Took a look at the governor and all connections were torqued down nicely, so I went for a drive and whoosh! When I got up to 30 miles an hour I pushed the bakelight knob all the way in and the light came on, then I let up on the throttle and I was finally in Overdrive (and ecstasy). Seems like the problem is solved but I'm sure as hell not taking the car back out until we drive down Cape Cod in two weeks! If it happens again I guess I will gently jiggle the overdrive lockout shaft until it reactivates, but will keep my fingers crossed and hold my St. Christopher medal to my chest until we get to our destination three hours away. Thanks again for your guidance!

Posted on: 2018/8/30 16:57
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved