Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 56 concept
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I think the underlying idea is to extend the life of the expensive large tooling while still offering a "new" enough car. The 55 redesign of the 51 did that. Adding the 4 door hardtop was a very logical next move. If you look at the big three trend shift ( ignoring the GM 58 transition cars) exner's designs and the responses mean Packard would need a new basic shell for 58 at latest. The reheated 57 Chevy is popular now but was behind the Ford and Plymouth in styling. An angular, finned, long sweeping line was the next trend

Posted on: 2018/11/18 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Mahoning63 wrote:
Here's the prototype from Creative that we have shown before on this forum. They used the coupe's roof and probably lengthened the rear door to close the body gap when they welded in a rear section of front door to make reverse opening.

As I recall, I was told that Creative Industries of Detroit did no lengthening whatsoever to the rear door. What they did was shave off the entire top of a Patrician rear door (all of the window frame assembly). Then, if you will notice, they went further... also shaved the vertical beltline surface and structure. Because this area no longer existed, it became necessary to place the door handles on a new lower position on the door. Of course, this was never finalized. Look closely and you'll see there is no place (no structure) to attach the handles in the usual positions. So any argument about this placement is moot.

The idea here was to get a lower look to the car. Because this was basically a Four Hundred 2-door hardtop with four doors mooshed onto it there was an accentuation of the "high-pockets" look and a resulting stubbiness-both of which Dick Teague disliked.

Look closely and you will note the roof has been somewhat altered. All four side windows would have been totally new pieces-made just for the 4-door hardtop only. But the 4-door hardtop would have looked even lower than the Four Hundred 2-door hardtop.

Because of all this, the expense of making this car in production was simply not justified. So the 4-door hardtop would have to wait for 1957... but then we all know what happened to that plan.

Posted on: 2018/11/18 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Look closely and you'll see there is no place (no structure) to attach the handles in the usual positions. So any argument about this placement is moot.

The Creative concept's door handle location was never a point of contention, at least not for me, since it is part of history. It was only on the recent concept illustrations that I questioned it and even then it was mainly to encourage Paul to come up with a version where they were back in the beltline, which he so kindly did.

Posted on: 2018/11/18 14:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
You raise a great point. Using the existing tooling and eliminating the window frames and the very heavy b pillar would not really achieve the look, although the budget would be modest. In a full body retool you can do some clever things to lower costs. Or make the move to offer only a four door hardtop, no sedan. As a luxury maker that might fly as no bare bones line was necessary

Posted on: 2018/11/18 14:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
"As I recall, I was told that Creative Industries of Detroit did no lengthening whatsoever to the rear door."

I don't think this was the case. The 1.5 inch body insert is no longer there. There are only so many ways it could have been removed. The least likely would have been to cut the car in half and remove 1.5 inches. I don't think hard drugs were that readily available at the time so we can probably rule that one out.

They could have moved the rear doors forward 1.5 inches, but the cut line location at rear edge of rear door suggests stock location.

That only leaves lengthening either the front door or rear door. Since the rear door needed modified anyway to make the jam reverse opening, seems it would not make sense to touch the front door, which besides removal of sill only needed the handle relocated. And given the hardtop coupe's 5 inch further forward location of C-pillar vs Patrician, they probably would have wanted the rear door to extend forward to enable better rear entry/egress. A longer front door would have resulted in the opposite.

What I think might have happened is that Packard's body shop was told to build a Four Hundred hardtop coupe body but do the passenger side as a Patrician and don't install the passenger side doors, just mount the whole thing on the chassis and ship to Creative. If you look at the driver's side of car you can see the door cut line between front door and body, and it's located much closer to C-pillar than passenger side. Contour front doors on coupe are almost 9 inches longer than sedan.

To help confirm which door got lengthened - front or rear - I did a "what must be true" exercise in next 3 images. In first image I copied the front door rear edge cut line and pasted it approx 1.5 inches FORWARD of existing cut line, depicting the scenario where Creative would have received this car and added 1.5 inches to front doors to get back to original historical photo. I then cut/pasted the full width of the side trim on the front door in altered photo onto the rear door trim, to see how far it extended past rear door. See first photo.

In second photo I put pasted a new cut line AFT of existing cut line, now depicting scenario where Creative added 1.5 inches to rear door. I then cut/pasted the front door trim from that altered photo onto rear door and predictably, it extends back approx 3 inches further or 2 X the body insert.

In third photo searched and searched until I found a F3Q view of approximate perspective as Creative's car. Cut/pasted the side trim. Pretty clear that it matches the second photo; judge for yourself.

There are a few other clues in the Creative photo that tell us that they extended the rear doors. First, there is what appears to be a weld line just forward of fender bulge. This is where they probably added the rear section of another stock front door that had been sent to them.

Second, they appear to have welded the new door section to the body at bottom. This may sound like an odd thing to do but body shops sometimes make temporary welds to hold sections in place so that the main weld can be done, which in this case was the vertical weld.

None of this can be confirmed mind you, just my best guess.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.03 KB)
2060_5bf1db880a733.jpg 1920X627 px

jpg  (111.69 KB)
2060_5bf1db9680ad0.jpg 1920X627 px

jpg  (93.72 KB)
2060_5bf1dbaecb5ec.jpg 1176X595 px

Posted on: 2018/11/18 16:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
The lest expensive way to have created a 4D hardtop in 56 would probably have been to use the 122 wb chassis. Then they could have "simply" moved the Executive's rear door forward 1.5 inches. The rear fenders would have come from the coupe, trimmed back to new door cut line. Most everything else would have been behind the scenes tear-up. The only major challenge might have been hanging the rear doors securely - there wasn't much vertical surface to work with on the jam given wheelhouse directly below.

Come to think of it, they could have moved the rear door forward on the 127 chassis too. I think the proportions are better on the 122 car but the size wouldn't have been in same class as SdV. Then again, Exec was competing a rung down in price.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.98 KB)
2060_5bf2293ee1c69.jpg 1020X612 px

Posted on: 2018/11/18 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Mahoning63 wrote:
"As I recall, I was told that Creative Industries of Detroit did no lengthening whatsoever to the rear door."

I don't think this was the case. The 1.5 inch body insert is no longer there. There are only so many ways it could have been removed. The least likely would have been to cut the car in half and remove 1.5 inches. I don't think hard drugs were that readily available at the time so we can probably rule that one out.

They could have moved the rear doors forward 1.5 inches, but the cut line location at rear edge of rear door suggests stock location.

That only leaves lengthening either the front door or rear door. Since the rear door needed modified anyway to make the jam reverse opening, seems it would not make sense to touch the front door, which besides removal of sill only needed the handle relocated. And given the hardtop coupe's 5 inch further forward location of C-pillar vs Patrician, they probably would have wanted the rear door to extend forward to enable better rear entry/egress. A longer front door would have resulted in the opposite.

What I think might have happened is that Packard's body shop was told to build a Four Hundred hardtop coupe body but do the passenger side as a Patrician and don't install the passenger side doors, just mount the whole thing on the chassis and ship to Creative. If you look at the driver's side of car you can see the door cut line between front door and body, and it's located much closer to C-pillar than passenger side. Contour front doors on coupe are almost 9 inches longer than sedan.

To help confirm which door got lengthened - front or rear - I did a "what must be true" exercise in next 3 images. In first image I copied the front door rear edge cut line and pasted it approx 1.5 inches FORWARD of existing cut line, depicting the scenario where Creative would have received this car and added 1.5 inches to front doors to get back to original historical photo. I then cut/pasted the full width of the side trim on the front door in altered photo onto the rear door trim, to see how far it extended past rear door. See first photo.

In second photo I put pasted a new cut line AFT of existing cut line, now depicting scenario where Creative added 1.5 inches to rear door. I then cut/pasted the front door trim from that altered photo onto rear door and predictably, it extends back approx 3 inches further or 2 X the body insert.

In third photo searched and searched until I found a F3Q view of approximate perspective as Creative's car. Cut/pasted the side trim. Pretty clear that it matches the second photo; judge for yourself.

There are a few other clues in the Creative photo that tell us that they extended the rear doors. First, there is what appears to be a weld line just forward of fender bulge. This is where they probably added the rear section of another stock front door that had been sent to them.

Second, they appear to have welded the new door section to the body at bottom. This may sound like an odd thing to do but body shops sometimes make temporary welds to hold sections in place so that the main weld can be done, which in this case was the vertical weld.

None of this can be confirmed mind you, just my best guess.

Ahhh... well. I should have known better than to say anything at all here in this raging furor over coulda-woulda-shoulda-mighta that is now going to be argued into the ground.

But I'll say one absolute last thing: According to what I was told, Creative Industries did nothing at all to lengthen the rear door. It was a shaved Patrician rear door. I knew the guy who worked on it and he had no reason to lie about it despite whatever measurements can be approximated or calipered or whatever can be made from Photoshop in 2018.

AND... the body used was a Four Hundred 2-door hardtop morphed into a pillarless 4-door. There was no "body insert." And for the record, what is shown here is just one of the incarnations of 4-door hardtops that were proposed. It is a proposal, not a final production piece. Who knows if any of it could have worked?

There were others and while those photos are not around and available today, they existed. As did Patricians made on Clipper bodies (they made those too...and there are photos of these that exist). There was a lot done that people don't know about and can argue over today.... but not everybody doing the arguing actually saw this stuff. That is all I know. I've got no further comments on this subject.

Posted on: 2018/11/19 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don't see it either as this discussion is about Paul's concept, not Creative's. Certainly it was mentioned and comparisons made but no furor!

Note: odd, this post shows before OD's when I made it almost an hour after!

Posted on: 2018/11/19 18:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've been looking for a "raging furor", can't seem to find it.

Posted on: 2018/11/19 18:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Looks like Creative was thinking of raising the rear tail fins too.

Posted on: 2018/11/19 20:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved