Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 156

JW49, BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

turnsignal switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I was wondering what make turn signal switch you like to use on the older Packards? My 1946 doesn't have a built in turn signal switch.
Thanks John

Posted on: 2019/3/6 9:42
 Top  Print 

Re: turnsignal switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if there is any one "make" that would be better function wise but there are several on ebay that have slightly different styles and features. Kind of depends on what you like but almost any of the vintage looks would be appropriate. That was the kind of accessory sold by many aftermarket companies of the day so who is to say what is right or wrong. Multitude of options on ebay. There is also a completely modern unit where you might be able to mount the switch in the steering column and hide the electronic works so it could duplicate a factory look.http://turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm Do you have a shroud that would accommodate some kind of switch like the factory option?

On that note, I am kind of curious what if anything your car has in the way of preparation for turn signals. Since yours is one of the models that did not have signals as standard but I believe was one where it was a factory option is any of the wiring present but unused or did Packard have completely separate looms and other components for cars with and without signals. I think the park light assys could be OK maybe with dual filament bulbs and be able to be wired but I know there were different tail light assys for cars without since the Packard system thru the 22nd series used a separate bulb for the rear signals. How about the speedo case and face. Are there open holes in the back for turn signal bulbs and the arrow cutouts in the face between 3 & 4 and 7 & 8?

Here is what the 21st series steering column space looks like with the factory switch.

Attach file:

jpg  (107.07 KB)
209_5c7ff4fe73191.jpg 845X814 px

Posted on: 2019/3/6 11:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (336.19 KB)
1003_5c81198145adf.jpg 1483X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/3/7 8:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Sounds like the Mitchell turn signal switch had a built in cancelling feature. I know the add on turn signal switch used on the King Midget cars had a rubber wheel that rode along the edge of the steering wheel hub that caused the turn signal to cancel after a turn. There are so other interesting articles in that thread Wes.
I'll have to check on the wiring and see what I can trace out. Maybe there is a hole somewhere there in the steering column below the steering wheel for a regular switch.

John

Posted on: 2019/3/7 8:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
John it looks like the easiest way would be an add on switch. Since you would probably need a different Speedometer, that's where the turn signal indicators are located. Also a different column, because that housing is pressed on to the column. Looking at the picture the wires run down 15.3075 and though 15.3041 and connect up to the flasher.
Wes

Attach file:

png  (247.00 KB)
1003_5c81305073427.png 1484X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/3/7 9:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you compare the Packard switch to the built in Mitchell switch in the illustration they sure look like the same switch from above. Since the Mitchell piece says the switch was available to OEMs, maybe Packards system was copied from or built by Mitchell. It certainly could have been an add on type since the bulbs were independent and no wires in the Packard system thru the 22nd series were shared with anything else.

If your column has the studs to mount the switch and maybe a plug filling the hole for the lever, finding a switch should not be too difficult. The Clipper and maybe the Mitchell switch is a 3 wire and used thru the 22nd series. Doubt 23rd and later 6 wire switches will work because of the way lever mounts. The 3 wire switches are simple mechanically so worst case on a used switch after it is cleaned up is probably new wires would be needed. The steering wheel should have the holes for the cancelling pins and just needs a couple of roll pins added. The rest of the electrical is very simple so easy enough to put together following the Packard diagram. If your steering column can't handle a switch then probably best would be go to plan two and use the clamp on type housing.

IMO, the biggest issue on the Clipper will be finding the two bulb tail light housings needed for the extra bulbs in the rear and then running wires to each of the bulbs if there is nothing in the existing looms. No idea how much extra room there might be in your tail light housings but it might even be possible to add a hole for another socket for the bulb and use what you have.

Here is a quick and dirty basic extraction showing the 46-7 Clipper senior turn signal circuit if you wanted to build it. No inline connectors etc are shown. What I do not remember is the value of the resistors used with the indicator bulbs so will need to find my notes from when I redid my 47 or failing that, try and measure them again -- unless someone else has the info. For 22nd series there was only a single indicator bulb connected directly to P on the flasher and ground. No resistor was used so would be a very simple circuit unless your speedo has the unused cutouts that really need two indicator bulbs. If no cutouts then you could add a discreet indicator lamp maybe in a bracket under the dash.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.20 KB)
209_5c814df8a30d4.jpg 1169X1295 px

Posted on: 2019/3/7 9:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information

Posted on: 2019/3/7 16:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
A lot of good info in those links on taking a part the steering wheel etc..... Should a person oil or put some sort of grease on that ball bearing at the top?

Posted on: 2019/3/7 22:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Howard, you was wondering if there was any provision for turn signals on this car. The steering column doesn't have any holes etc. for mounting a factory turn signal switch. Haven't gotten to checking the wiring to see if there is anything or not.

John

Posted on: 2019/5/25 8:32
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved