Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion Level Suspension 1956 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
I bought this 400 last fall knowing that the TL was inoperative, contacted a reputable restoration shop, and was told they would start on the car in January. It's now March and I'm getting nervous. They don't answer my emails. I want to drive the car this summer and take it to the PAC National Meet in West Lafayette, Indiana, in July.

I'm 76 years old, don't bend the way I used to to get under a car to work on it, and don't know much about the TL suspension, anyway. I want to hire the job done if I can.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good shop that would be qualified to work on Packard Torsion Level? I'm in northern Indiana, but I would take the car wherever to get the TL working.

Thanks,

Steve in Indiana

Posted on: 2019/3/5 15:01
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print 

Re: Torsion Level Suspension 1956 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
As far as I'm concerned Ross Miller in MD is THE guy to go to. I had my car brought to him and in a day (and for a VERY reasonable price) he had little odds and ends sorted with my ultramatic, torsion level and timing.

Posted on: 2019/3/5 15:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ross would be an excellent choice but at 600 miles and 10 hrs maybe a bit far for you to drive. Were you perhaps waiting to hear from Michiana Packards in Elkhart? I just saw a Facebook post dated Sept 2018 where there was an announcement they had closed but the person making the post -- Troy maybe?? -- was still around and there would be some kind of new business in the spring. Don't know if anyone from the old business is personally taking on customers though.

I share your concern that not just anybody should be turned loose on the TL but if the problem is electrical that is not too hard to diagnose and the usual parts that fail are readily available. If there is a mechanic willing to look we could walk him thru what to check for or how to diagnose what might be wrong. If there is something mechanical wrong such as bushings needing changing or something obviously broken then that is a bit more involved.

Posted on: 2019/3/5 15:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Contact the PAC regions close to you and see if they can recommend anyone.

Contact Max Meritt and see if they have someone to recommend.

Contact Ross and maybe he could recommend someone closer to you.

Posted on: 2019/3/5 16:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Steve, I have owned several 55/56 senior Packards and as fate would have it I'm working in West Lafayette. Give me a call and I'll take a look and offer some suggestions. Two-eight-one, seven nine three, three three seven seven.

Posted on: 2019/3/5 22:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
There are several post on this site about working on a TL system. My mechanic did not want to work on my TL system either. I used them to successfully diagnose the ills of my '55s problems. It turn out to be corroded electrical contacts and a bad TL limit switch. I found a NOS switch on-line, but by the time I received it I had to go in for back surgery.

If you have problems finding someone to work on it maybe if you print out trouble shooting hint on this site and show your mechanic he might be willing to give it a go.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention HH56 (Howard) as a wizard who was a wealth of information to me during my TL repair.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring.

Posted on: 2019/3/9 18:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanddoc
See User information
Hi Steve.
Girimes is a good source.
but when you say not working, what do you mean?
They system is touchy since its mostly electrical
and the wiring is now agent.
I'd take it to a automotive electrical shop first
have the motor checked, then the switch.. both sit inside the
X box frame. Not likely that the torsion bars came lose or broke
but even the electrical service can tell...
and don't forget the switch under the dash... old, I'd replace it
All the best

Posted on: 2019/3/15 6:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2019/3/16 16:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I would be concerned that the shop will not answer calls/emails.
The Torsion-Level system is fairly simple, from an electrical standpoint. Like everything else on the car, unless you have replaced the wiring harnesses you are relying on 63 year-old wiring.
The most essential thing for any shop to know is that the timing box send a GROUND to the solenoid, the pull-in coils are fed +12VDC internally, they are looking for a ground to activate.
You want a shop that is willing to study the wiring diagram, and accept and deal with the system the way it is made, not one that spends your money adapting it and dumbing it down to what they understand already.

Posted on: 2019/3/24 11:32
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved