Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

840 Manifold nuts steel or brass?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Stephen Templeton
See User information
Quick question- does anyone know if the manifold nuts on a 1931 Packard 840 are steel or brass- same question for washers. The ones I removed were steel.

Thanks

Posted on: 2019/4/19 12:48
 Top  Print 

Re: 840 Manifold nuts steel or brass?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Find me an original and unmolested car and we'll both know the answer. I can say that 7th, 8th and 9th Series engines I've seen restored by the top-notch shops with the highest credentials seem to all have steel nuts and washers.

Posted on: 2019/4/19 13:12
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Stephen Templeton
See User information
Ha Ha! For what it's worth, the manifold nut and washers ffrom Max Merritt for an 840 are brass- they list the same brass nut for 1930-36 Standard eight and 1930-39 Super eights according to their catalog

Stephen

Posted on: 2019/4/19 14:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I used brass on my '34 when I rebuilt it because I thought it "looked right". Don't recall what it had before that.

Posted on: 2019/4/19 16:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I am not a metallurgist, but I was told years ago that if you use steel, the manifold is apt to break before the nut strips, whereas, the softer brass would fail.

Posted on: 2019/4/19 19:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening all...When machines are this old, and have been repaired/rebuilt as many times as these have, it is almost more about what folks could get their hands on rather than what might have been original.

Repairs, in my humble opinion, for the first 25 or so years were just repairing 'Old Cars' that were just used for transportation.

As we take them apart now, we're seeing largely repair parts, and not original nuts and bolts, much of the time. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/4/19 20:20
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Brass nuts don't rust on

Posted on: 2019/4/19 20:23
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
NUT: 5/16-24 17/64 1/2
LK WASHER: 21/64 15/32 1/16
FLAT WASHER: 21/64 5/8 1/8

STEEL. Parts Book states "PLAIN" for Nut & Flat and "STD" for Lock.

If there is or was plating on them ive never seen it. PARTS BOOK does not spec plating or SPECIAL which would make u think it was plated. 12s were Nickel Plated along with the tip of the stud but have never seen any plating of the 8s. Would have made senses to use brass nuts, which i have seen on other marques, but have not seen on PACKARDs. Restoring i go for SS nuts and flat. Forget going with a SS lock - if there is a good SS lock out there i havent found one.

There is a good virgin 1200 a few miles away. Next time im out that way ill stop by and take a lookc. NEVER SAY NEVER

Posted on: 2019/4/20 9:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
For what it's worth.... I just finished R&Ring the engine on a '39 Six that I believe to be the original block and it had brass nuts on the steel manifold studs.... For washers, I thought maybe brass 'shakeproof' or 'star' washers would serve better than conventional 'locks'.

Posted on: 2019/4/20 14:21
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Stephen Templeton
See User information
Decided to go with Max Merritt's brass nut/washer set- Kanter also recommends brass, but they were out of stock- Cheers!

Attach file:

jpeg  (260.15 KB)
184962_5cbe5a48a5fa2.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/4/22 19:22
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved