Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard V8 possibilities
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Whipper,

Here's an old thread of Jacks about a 440ci Packard engine. Unfortunately a lot of the pic's seem to be lost in cyberspace, although HH56 was able to resurrect some.

Posted on: 2019/8/12 18:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks Mal

Anybody have a picture of a crank with tape measure next to it for a hard headed whippersnapper

Posted on: 2019/8/12 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
I remember some guy here put a turbo on his V8 here and disappeared. Did he share any secrets?

Posted on: 2019/8/12 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
What have you guys done for more air flow with the heads?

Posted on: 2019/8/12 21:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
I read the thread Mal.

So Jack did you end up putting a supercharger on it? Was this Iron Lung? Find you have part in iron lung? Who else had thier 2 cents in iron lung?

I want to know more of your build please. The thread only went up to 3 pages, is there more?

Posted on: 2019/8/12 21:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Cant the Packard block line honed out to change the thrust bearing from rear to middle to accept the CAD Crank?

Posted on: 2019/8/12 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Cant the Packard block line honed out to change the thrust bearing from rear to middle to accept the CAD Crank?

There are many reasons the Cadillac crank won't fit in the Packard block. Here are a few more:
1.You don't quite understand how line honing works. It only removes a few thousanths to get the main bores round and true.
2. Line boring is how holes are made much larger, but no, there is not enough stock in the Packard 2.5" main webs to line bore to the Cadillac 3.25" main diameter.
3. No, the Cadillac crank would be too weak if ground down to the Packard 2.5" main diameter.
4. No, the thrust bearing is the wide one which takes fore/aft thrust. There's not enough material in the Packard #3 main to mate with the Cadillac #3 thrust bearing. The Cadillac #5 bearing is not wide enough to accept the Packard #5 main cap.

And yes, the Packard V8 entered in the EMC was basically my engine with a tunnel ram added.

jack vines

Posted on: 2019/8/13 9:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Hey, Ed Roth's '56 F100 Ford truck got a Packard V8 transplantedd in it!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ed-roths-truck-found.1030593/

Posted on: 2019/8/13 11:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Just a random notion I have wondered about for a long time.

Has anyone replaced a Packard camshaft with one made by Clay Smith or Edelbrock?

Posted on: 2019/8/31 16:21
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Just a random notion I have wondered about for a long time. Has anyone replaced a Packard camshaft with one made by Clay Smith or Edelbrock?

It's possible back in the day Clay Smith might have reground a Packard cam; they were selling cams during that time.

But why ask about Edelbrock? They don't grind any cams, much less Packard cams. Any cam with Edelbrock's name on it is made by Camshaft Machine Co; the largest cam grinder in the US. They make OEM cams, too. You can get the same grind in an Edelbrock box, a Wolverine Blue Racer box or a Summit box.

Iskenderian offered more cam choices for the Packard than any other company. I've used several of their solid lifter racing cams.

Since Isky never did a hydraulic cam for the Packard V8, we've developed some of our own.

jack vines

Posted on: 2019/9/1 13:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved