Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Recommend Pictorial Book Packard Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
Acquiring a 47 Deluxe Clipper Eight Touring Sedan that we will resorcreate as Ike's staff car in WWII. The car is pretty rough and bare, not a lot to start with as reference. Can forum members recommend any pictorial or coffee table type books that would show pictures of the models and features of the WWII ear Packards.
We are planning on visiting the Packard Museum in Dayton, OH and will take a million photos, but if there was something to look at to get ideas on interior options, accessories, flooring, headlining, door and window hardware, etc., it would be nice reading in the car.

And, wanting to save as money for the restoration, I'd rather not pay museum gift shop prices.

Thanks in advance.

And, if anyone is in the Atlanta area or has a contact for the Peach State Packard group, if it is still active, I'd like to hook up with them. emails and phone calls to the listed contact have gone unanswered up to now.

Posted on: 2019/9/20 13:57
 Top  Print 

Re: Recommend Pictorial Book Packard Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Google :https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNRw8aLAsxW4c-82Ukq77KLitWtFJg%3A1569014521535&ei=-UKFXeeoIKHk9APy9qGQCw&q=Ike%27s+military+car+pictures&oq=Ike%27s+military+car+pictures&gs_l=psy-ab.12...22060.40906..44408...1.2..5.2632.13678.6j4j2j0j1j0j2j3j2j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i67j0j0i22i30j0i22i10i30j33i299j33i160j33i22i29i30.fYAoOhXGYWo&ved=0ahUKEwinidDJquDkAhUhMn0KHXJ7CLIQ4dUDCAs

all the pictures of Ike's car. Google says in 1/2 second it collected 4 million 900.000 sources. Get to work!

Posted on: 2019/9/20 16:30
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unlike Hollingsworth's 40 book or Bob Neal's 48-50 and 51-4 books, to the best of my knowledge there is no single source book covering the 41-7 Clipper in great detail. There are some Clipper photos in the 48-50 book and also a few photos are in most of the other general interest Packard books but nothing that would delve into a great amount of detail.

No 41 but there is a 42 Clipper owners manual on site you can download. Since the Clipper was a late intro it is not covered in the regular issue 41 data book but there is a 46 data book you can download which would have most of the same info as the 42 Clipper. Regress Press in their ebay listings offers a reprint of the 41 Clipper data book which was kind of a supplement to the other book and covers the specs and differences from the 41 conventional bodies. While I did not look to check all the Regress offerings, if you don't find originals on ebay they might have some reprints of 41-42 Clipper sales brochures too.

Posted on: 2019/9/20 17:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might consider the Nathaniel Dawes book, "Packard 1942-1962". Decent coverage of the '42-'47 models, and good appendeces.

Posted on: 2019/9/20 17:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Dawes "The Packard 1942-1962" book is probably as good as any of the general Packard books and better than most you will find with info for the Clipper. It has a chapter with 9 or 10 pages of features and photos plus the added numbers and model content in the appendix. The book is out of print but there are currently some copies on ebay at reasonable prices. Here is a link to a quick review on the site bookshelf section. The book is listed near the bottom of the page.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/BookShelf/

Posted on: 2019/9/20 17:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
signsup wrote:....We are planning on visiting the Packard Museum in Dayton, OH and will take a million photos....

Before visiting the Dayton Museum might be wise to call them to see that they still have the staff car. Sometimes museums have a turnover of cars, may not be there now.

Posted on: 2019/9/21 0:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Since you intend to create a military ordinance-issue Packard staff car, exact period correct features shouldn't be that much of an issue. If the car is missing much of its interior, note the 1948-'50 Series is substantially the same interior layout. While the patterns would be different, covering the door panels and seats with khaki materials would give the interior an appropriate look for general observers.

Check the Various CL Parts Pickings thread for 1948-'50 parts cars that show up frequently. Good luck with your project.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/9/21 9:05
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved