Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 153

humanpotatohybrid, Jim in Boone, Ross, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Exhaust and Intake Manifold Studs
Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
I am in the process of replacing a cracked Exhaust Manifold and I have come across broken studs.
Question
Is there an updated replacement studs with better metals in them than the original studs and were can I get them?
Thanks
Will

Posted on: 2019/11/18 10:44
 Top  Print 

Re: Exhaust and Intake Manifold Studs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You didn't mention a year or engine but if the vendors cannot help, if for a 48-54 288/327 block and I believe most of the other 40 and later inline engines as well, McMaster-Carr has some hardened dual thread studs that I think will work for the 2" length although they do not look exactly like the originals. Specs say the manifold studs are 3/8-16 which I believe goes into the block and 3/8-24 for the nut side. Didn't see anything for the 4 9/16 length so those might be a vendor only or have them made type thing.https://www.mcmaster.com/94358a330

Posted on: 2019/11/18 13:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Sorry
I have 1936 120B

Posted on: 2019/11/18 13:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
You could also write Bruce Blevins blevinsb33@aol.com

If you have the dimensions either by measuring them or checking the online Parts List for 1935-1941, you might find what you need in Bruce's Packard catalog.

http://www.mktx.com/packard/blevins.pdf

Posted on: 2019/11/18 13:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Absolutely no need for metallurgically superior studs, the originals when new were more than adequate. Try Kanter or Max for a kit if you don't want to source them yourself from industrial supply houses like MSC or McMaster.

Posted on: 2019/11/18 14:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
When I had my engine rebuilt recently, the machine shop broke off one of the long studs as they were chain-hoisting the block to load into my vehicle. They replaced with an off the shelf exhaust stud, but when I got home and started putting things together, found their replacement was a half inch or so too short. They couldn't find one long enough and just took a correct grade 3/8/16 bolt, cut it off and threaded the other end with the finer thread for the manifold nut. Cheap and easy. Chris

Posted on: 2019/11/18 14:36
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Thank guys!!

Posted on: 2019/11/18 14:45
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved