Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

John Sauser, BlackBeerd, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 »

Re: TrevorK's 1955 Packard Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
They really should have put somewhere in the shop manual that leaving the breather tube off while starting the car will quickly empty your crankcase

That's what I get for working on the car for 8 hours straight. Filled it back up, put the tube back in place and .....click....battery dead. 9pm. The universe is telling me to go have a drink or 8.

Posted on: 2019/12/14 23:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am confused by what you are describing as the breather. Do you mean the 90 degree road draft tube which goes down the rear and side of the engine and connects to the top cover of the lifter chamber just behind the intake manifold? If so, and you are losing oil out of that opening I would think something else is the issue.

The breather tube just provides an air exit for engine ventilation and crankcase blowby. Air enters the oil filler cap and circulates thru the crankcase and lifter chamber. Due to the shape and position of the opening on the draft tube, movement of the car creates kind of a vacuum at the opening to draw that air out the bottom of the tube. Other than maybe a few small bounced off droplets from other components in the valve chamber oil should not be able to reach that opening and surely not enough to be running out.

Posted on: 2019/12/15 10:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
I meant the oil filler cap, I had that and the oil filler tube off the top of the engine while I worked on it. Pulled out the old oil and filled it back up through there and forgot to put the oil filler tube back on. I didn't see it coming out but when I turned off the engine (cuz I saw oil pouring on the floor) the lifter valley cover was covered in oil which is why I am assuming it came from where the oil filler tube was supposed to be.

Posted on: 2019/12/15 11:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Probably came from the oil filter return port which drops the filtered oil into the lifter chamber and is fairly close to the oil filler tube opening. With the tube out air flow from the fan could have caused some turbulence at the opening and the filtered oil stream at the return port could have been blown out.

Posted on: 2019/12/15 12:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Ah. Thanks for helping me understand how that happened Clearly still learning. I was terrified at first that I just wrecked the car....which is always my immediate go to when I mess something up lol

Posted on: 2019/12/15 12:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Found the true culprit....a busted line from the oil filter to the lifter valley....now to figure out if i can fashion one myself from materials at Autozone or Walmart or if i have to buy one....and it's already clear that it's going to be a PITA to R&R.

Posted on: 2019/12/15 14:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Or you can buy new ones in steel or stainless from Classic Tube.

Posted on: 2019/12/15 14:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Even better.

While I sort that out I thought I'd share a picture of the lifters I pulled out. New ones are up front and clearly unused. But if you look at the ones I pulled out... there's multiple types. I think by my count it's 3 different kinds. Curiouser and curiouser.

Attach file:

jpeg  (199.73 KB)
378_5df6a071f2b5e.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/12/15 16:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Even here "down under" it's hard to view the photo so I've rotated and reposted it.

Attach file:

jpeg  (62.93 KB)
226_5df6a478e78d5.jpeg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2019/12/15 16:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Ha! Thank you!

Posted on: 2019/12/15 18:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved