Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

kevinpackard, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 clipper custom
Just popping in
Just popping in

James Kiplinger
See User information
Engine pulled out and will not turn over by hand to separate the transmission.
What do I need to do to separate so I can get the motor on a stand to rebuild it?

Thanks for any help
James

Posted on: 2020/2/21 17:19
Thanks,

James
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 clipper custom
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Longest option timewise might be to fill the cylinders with penetrating fluid or a mixture of ATF and acetone. Let that sit for a few days to see if the pistons might free up. If that doesn't work then try draining the fluids and turn the engine on its side to access the oil pan. Disconnect the rods from the crank and see if enough pistons are free you can slide them up the bore to get some rods out of the way and have enough clearance for the crank to turn by itself. A final option which would remove some weight but not solve the original problem is to remove the bolts connecting the trans bellhousing to the engine. With the torque converter still bolted to the flex plate, pull the trans off the converter and engine. It would need to come off straight so as not do any extra damage to the converter pump shaft and bushing but there have been several removed that way. Once the extra weight and length of the trans is off then it is easier to work around the engine to determine the next step in freeing what is stuck so you can get the converter off.

Posted on: 2020/2/21 18:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

James Kiplinger
See User information
Howard,

Thank you for the information as soon as the weather gets warmer I will try these things and see what happens.

Posted on: 2020/2/21 18:05
Thanks,

James
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One other thing is it might be valves that are stuck and the engine cannot turn because the cam is not able to move the lifters. I had that happen on a long sitting engine which finally broke free by bending two or three pushrods. You might remove the rocker covers and take the shaft and levers off or at least loosen them so you can get the pushrods out and then try to turn the engine.

Posted on: 2020/2/21 18:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

James Kiplinger
See User information
Copy that...
My plan is to rebuild the engine so I guess start at the top and work my way down. Was just wanting to do it on the stand but I will do what I have to do.

Posted on: 2020/2/21 18:13
Thanks,

James
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That's what I was about to suggest. Take off the heads, then see what's actually stuck. If pistons, you can then remove them from below if you're not worrying about breaking any rings and by the sound of it, that is not an issue. I just recently went through the same thing on a 1965 Imperial engine which had stuck wrist pins that made things even more difficult but persistence, a pry bar and big hammer paid off.

Posted on: 2020/2/22 3:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day James(1956 clipper custom),
to PackardInfo and good luck with your engine.

And I invite you to include your '56 Clipper Custom in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/2/22 4:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2020/2/22 15:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
I had the same situation. I left the torque converter attached to the flywheel and removed the transmission. I had the heads off when I removed the engine and transmission so it was easy to set the block down oil pan up. I removed the crankshaft with the flywheel and torque converter attached and then was able to take them off.

Posted on: 2020/2/22 17:17
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved