Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Skirt Bolts 2262
Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Hello All,

After many searches I was able to determine that my 49 Deluxe 2262 takes this size bolt for the fender skirts:
Packard part number 399938 fits 1948-53 All models. This is a 5/16-24 X 25/32" bolt.

Thanks to motor city packards for that information on a previous thread. Unfortunately their project to sell these seems over. I can't seem to find anywhere to get this size, and generally all the stores around me don't seem to carry many fine threaded grade 8 or stainless bolts anyway.

Would any 5/16-24 x 3/4 grade 8 hex head work if I just order a box off amazon? Boxes of 50 of these seem to be pretty reasonable at around $12 for 50. I understand the original size was different to accommodate using the Packard emergency tools to remove the skirts, but that's not a concern of mine as I keep a well stocked toolkit in the trunk at all times.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2020/3/13 8:00
 Top  Print 

Re: Skirt Bolts 2262
Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
As a source for bolts, try BoltDepot.com. You can buy individually, bags, or bulk. 5/16-24 x 3/4 Zinc plated grade 8 steel yellow, $0.24 each, $8.69 for 50. Stainless steel 18-8, $0.30 each. They are located near you in Hingham. They ship quickly and you don't have to play the Amazon slow shipping if you aren't a prime member.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 9:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the factory item had a large head to fit the lug wrench so while the threads in an ordinary bolt might fit, the head may be small enough to slide thru the slot in the skirt. You might need to use a large diameter fender washer along with the regular bolt.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 9:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
The bolts have been reproduced in the past. Hopefully some one has the information or have them made.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 9:30

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
While you could use hardware store bolts, the originals had hexes to work with the car's lug wrench while the hardware store variety would have something much smaller.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 12:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Thanks for the boltdepot resource, not sure how I didn't find that just on google or maybe I didn't realize they sell small quantities if I did see them come up in a search. Anyway, I can't find the special sized heads, though I will contact boltdepot to see if they can get them, so I'm going to most likely get regular hex heads.

Is 3/4 length the right choice? 25/32 is the head size I thought, didn't see a length anywhere but I'd imagine too long and it won't hold the skirt on tight.

Posted on: 2020/3/14 16:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
25/32 is the length which is just slightly longer than 3/4 and the bolts were specially made -- probably by Packard -- with the head being the same size as the head on the lug bolts so they could be removed by the regular lug wrench. Doubt you will find any heads as large as the factory item in a modern bolt.

I believe it was Motor City Packards that used to reproduce the skirt screws but the store on their website currently has no projects other than a hat listed. Unknown if they are out of the projects business or if it is something with the website. Maybe worth contacting them to see if they were the region offering or still have the screws.

3/4 should be long enough but I do not know how much space there is between the skirt fastening tongue and the capture or weld nut in the fender to get the screw started or if the space above the nut is open. If you need to add a washer to keep the modern head from going thru the skirt slot then maybe a bit longer would be in order. 7/8 would probably be perfect with a washer if you can find them in small quantity at that bolt place and there is open space above the nut. If not then 3/4 would probably work if the fender to skirt cushion material is not too thick.

Posted on: 2020/3/14 17:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As I recall the threaded lug on the fender is open ended and threaded thru so the bolt length is not restricted. Easy enough to tell, just look under the fender. Plain old hardware store bolts with a suitable washer in the correct thread, should work just fine, any convenient length, 3/4" or more.

Posted on: 2020/3/14 17:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
A person could probably pop some out with a lathe and mill..

Posted on: 2020/3/14 20:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I took these photos today of the 3/8-24 type as used from 1954 through 1956. Not sure but I think the originals might have been chrome plated brass as they seem quite heavy.

Attach file:

jpeg  (186.96 KB)
60923_5e6d8c8f1549a.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (178.94 KB)
60923_5e6d8ca1aded7.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (242.54 KB)
60923_5e6d8cb4360c3.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/3/14 21:02
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved