Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1948 heater wiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Is there a wiring diagram for the 2262 heater and switch ? and fog light switch - Thanks

Posted on: 2020/4/20 21:37
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 heater wiring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 23rd series wiring diagram shows the heater wiring although it does not show the blower motor itself. Packard just ends the wire from the switch on the drawing as going thru dash but after it exits into the engine compt it just connects to the blower motor.

The fog lights were an accessory and unless someone has the accessory install sheet that came with the fog light accessory and can post, to the best of my knowledge there is no mention of 22nd series fog lights on any of the regular wiring diagrams.

There is a fog light circuit shown on the earlier Clipper accessory diagram and circuit is relatively simple. That diagram can be used as the wiring would be identical although the switches themselves are physically different. The fog light switch has 3 terminals. F goes to the fog lights which are wired in parallel, T connects to a small Y or splitter type jumper wire you would need to make to have an extra terminal to connect to the tail light terminal on the headlight switch to turn on the tail lights when the fog lights are on and B would be the power source.

In the Clippers they took the power from an aux fuse on the headlight sw which the 22nd series does not have. IMO, downside to Packards preferred power source on a lot of accessories is many are powered all the time and you need to remember to turn them off when leaving the car. Fog lights would fit into that category so if I were installing them I would add an inline fuse and power from the GA terminal on the ign switch so they would be be turned off with the key. If you wanted to keep them powered all the time then still use an inline fuse but power from the input side of the accessory breaker located on the back of the cluster which is a fairly easy place to access. Not sure of the current requirements of the lights or capacity of the breaker to have them powered thru it so the reason for the suggestion of adding a fuse to the input side instead.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.65 KB)
209_5e9e6970e29c6.jpg 753X895 px

Posted on: 2020/4/20 22:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you - My car has a heater and dash heater switch -----and a dash fog light switch, but no fog lights

Posted on: 2020/4/20 22:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think that's par for the course, rather than make separate model configs, they put "everything" on dash panel, then only hooked up what was optioned*. I recall having a few nonfunctional buttons, except radio was a delete panel.
It's just a little "different" to think backwards in positive ground terms, if hasn't been converted. Cloth wire is hardest to familiarize, if spent life in 12V (-) PVC shield world of colors.
I really need to decide what to do with my "P" project. Got a ton o money in it to sit a hulk and occupy parts shelves. The other one that wasn't supposed to come first is hopefully nearing the rebuild end. i"m working on it today AGAIN.
But that one even got way-layed by a new lease vehicle. Life interferes with best of plans. Kinda like that little shiny steel ball on the pinball table, sometimes it takes a whirl, makes lights and sounds, and sometimes goes straight down the drain...
* - unfortunately, unlike survivor brands, if one doesn't have a build sheet/other documentation in/on theirs, there's little way to find out "as delivered". That's even getting scarcer as paper is ephemera.

Posted on: 2020/4/22 9:04
 Top  Print 

1954 Pacific H4 headlight wire harness
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Good Morning HH56 Howard, I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I recently replaced the headlights on my 54 Pacific. I noticed the wires were dry,brittle and exposed thru the cloth. I have received a new H4 wiring harness for the lights. Aside from yanking the wiring straight out thru the front from of the headlight body, where are the 3 wires (red, black,green) attached to inside the car? I can see 2 switches on each inner fender which makes things look complicated. Is there another easy spot where the headlight wires attach to?

Attach file:

jpg  (321.70 KB)
201206_5ea0651c62e27.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (308.06 KB)
201206_5ea06571c46de.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (297.38 KB)
201206_5ea065bc765f0.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/4/22 10:42
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Pacific H4 headlight wire harness
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The horn relay is the silver box in your second photo and the item sort of hidden by wires under it is the L side junction block. There is another junction block just like it on the right side which I believe is what is in your third photo.

The hi - lo beam wires from the dimmer switch are in the main loom and attach to the L side junction block as does the parking light feed. There is another section of loom attached on the same block which I believe in your car feeds across the front of the radiator to the right side and connects to the R junction block. With the head and parking lights connected there should be 3 wires on each terminal on the left side and two on the right.

The 3 wires from the headlight buckets are in a short approx 18" length of covered wire in which 2 wires - hi and lo beam - attaches to each of the junction blocks and the third wire which is ground attaches to one of the terminal block mounting screws. Parking lights have two wires wrapped together with one wire going to the terminal block and the other to an inline connector. I can't say for sure which terminal on the block is hi, lo, or park . That you will need to determine on your car but if you can see the colors well enough the park light terminal will have pink wires on the main and aux across the radiator loom connector and will stay connected as is. The hi and low to the headlight buckets you need to replace will be with the tan or light gray wires.

The 3 wires from the headlight buckets may be fabric covered and wrapped with vinyl wire wrap and look like the rest of the looms or they may be a black rubber covered cable which resembles a cord you would plug in the wall.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.38 KB)
209_5ea07f9c17581.jpg 350X1578 px

Posted on: 2020/4/22 12:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
I had some of the same issues. I finally bit the bullet and bought a wiring harness fromhttps://www.riwire.com

it came with great instructions. I had never tried to do anything like that and in two days the car was up and running.

Posted on: 2020/4/27 13:40
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Howard - The wire ( GA ) from the Ignition Switch to the Heater & Defroster Switch - is it on the inside or outside of firewall ? Thanks - 48 model

Posted on: 2020/12/2 1:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Power for the heater should be provided by a single loose wire running between ign sw GA terminal and the BAT terminal on the heater switch. There will be an inline fuse holder somewhere in that length. The owners manual says the 30 amp heater fuse is positioned under the clock so I would expect the wire to be laying toward the bottom of the dash. You might be able to find the fuse holder and then identify the wire.

Posted on: 2020/12/2 9:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
I agree . The power wire to the heater/defroster switch is under the dash.

Posted on: 2020/12/2 9:54
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved