Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 107

29tons, Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

2126 door window installation.
Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Once again, I have come to drink from the "well of knowledge". Working on reinstalling all of the window and door lock hardware on my 2126 super clipper that was removed by a "restoration" shop around 6 years ago. I had to remove the car from that shop due to some less than savory activity and bogus billing. Luckily they are now out of business. Have been sitting on these parts since then (some assembly required) and now trying to piece things back together. Also need some guidance as to what order re-assembly takes place. Reverse engineering the program would dictate the window and lower channel might go in last since replacing windows should'nt require disassembly of entire door...
presently I have the door jamb lock and remote door lock strap and hardware in place as well as the regulator. All of this is on the back doors only. Front doors are still being painted. Two pictures below are ones that need some clarification. The one guy at the now defunct resto shop was always helpful and willing to give details. I'm pretty sure he mentioned that the hardware pictured below had to go in last after the window was in place but memory could be a bit fuzzy. Any clarification or direction to a prior thread would be greatly appreciated. Getting ready to send some hardware to powder coating so would like to have some idea of how to approach these when they come back. Pics of finished body work from the 2nd resto shop. Son loves the car!
Thanks for all your help.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.31 KB)
97266_5eef6014dba0f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.56 KB)
97266_5eef61a02fb68.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (221.42 KB)
97266_5eef61b83945d.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (274.89 KB)
97266_5eef61d277988.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/6/21 8:35
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Re: 2126 door window installation.
Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
OOOOOOKKKKK....will try again on car pics LOL

Posted on: 2020/6/21 8:43
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Pictures sometimes are displayed sideways in the small versions that are live in the threads but if the viewer clicks on them to expand to full size then usually they will display correctly.

Have you looked thru the body section of the 46-50 service manual. The section on doors shows the window channels and glass removal and install. I had no issues with my 47 following the procedure although I don't recognize the piece you show in the first photo. Maybe you could post another view?? It could be another difference between the 2122 and 2126. The second photo I think is a bottom brace between the fender bottom edge and the rear splash or mudguard on one of the fenders.

Posted on: 2020/6/21 8:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A question on the piece in the second photo. Does the other end have a similar but mirror image flat end with angled edge and hole like the end that is clearly shown? If so, instead of being a lower brace it goes a couple of inches in front of the radiator near the top and bolts to a sort of flange on the fenders where the splash panels bolt. It is used to support the cable going to the right headlight.

Posted on: 2020/6/21 9:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
The piece in the first picture attaches to the u channel the window rides in and goes in as part of the assembly. It has to go in the correct spot as the hook on the side attaches to the door and controls the location of the u channel. I attach it with pop rivets. I can send several pictures if needed.

Posted on: 2020/6/21 9:52

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Thanks Howard. I can't seem to find the exploded parts views that I once had easy access to. The illustrated parts list shows basic finished assembly. No details as to what the hidden parts might be. Possibly I am trying the wrong link which is "illustrated parts list" or "master parts list". I don't have a link to the service manual you referred to as 46-50, only links to 41-47 reference.
Pretty sure these parts are window channel related. sending better (hopefully) pictures.

Rear doors on the 2126 are straight sections with no cutout for wheel fenders. The pieces with spring clips on one end and slotted hole on the other (lower) end match the door sheet metal slots and threaded holes. Not sure right and left though. The other piece has clips for what I would guess would be window channel felt strips but they could be wire harness clips under the hood. I do have the braces you mentioned in prior post.
Thanks
Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (9.25 KB)
97266_5eef7444129e0.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (10.39 KB)
97266_5eef7453e312c.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (11.07 KB)
97266_5eef746a53c28.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (10.78 KB)
97266_5eef7485848d4.jpg 320X240 px

Posted on: 2020/6/21 9:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the first two photos are the cable support piece in front of the radiator. It shares a bolt with one of those holding the box like front side grill splash extensions to the fenders.

Just guessing from the clip on the side of the other piece, the second two photos may be of one of the supports for the fuzzy channel around a door window. Goes opposite the vent wing so rear support for a front window, front support for a rear window. Been years since I was in the doors but as I recall the clip slips over a bracket like piece of metal welded to the door metal.

Attach file:

jpeg  (157.88 KB)
209_5eef7c0c0f72a.jpeg 1280X960 px

jpeg  (87.76 KB)
209_5eef7c148859d.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2020/6/21 10:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
That makes sense for the front tie bar wire support clip bracket. I'll check the front doors to see if the bracket fits there. The front doors are probably the same for the 2106 and 2126. BAck doors are different. I might be missing the two brackets. the ones I do have fit the back door perfectly, just trying to figure out right and left sides. if I could spool up the expanded parts list, I might be able to figure which is R and L. No luck there so far.
Am I correct in thinking the last to go in would be the window/channel assembly and then the window stop bracket which mounts in the middle of door panel. Nothing else seems to interfere with the window installation though the fuzzy felt channel might have to go in after window is in place and lowered.

Posted on: 2020/6/21 12:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On my car the window channels are all one welded and riveted assembly and glass goes in or comes out as shown in the body section.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual4650/Section4.pdf

When I disassembled mine for rechroming the vertical pieces of the vent window side, I replaced everything spot welded with screws and/or poprivets. Took care to drill or cut thru welds to leave enough to bolt back thru. Fastening the new fuzzy channel end back onto the riveted on vent window tab was a bit of a trick due to the tight space. I believe I installed the pop rivets thru the channel and tab, head buried in the fuzzy, and then cut off and flattened the extended part of the rivet that extended out the top so it could clear the door metal. Screws and nuts at other spots needed to be kept short due to very little clearance in getting the assy to slide back thru the window slot in the door.

Posted on: 2020/6/21 13:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Howard, I used your link and it was very helpful. Then, went back to Main Menu and realized I had not opened the Packard Literature and Manuals link. Went to that and bingo....thanks. Funny how we tend to put off the PIA stuff til the end and then all we have left to do is the PIA stuff. Seems to be the case more often than not. Will press on with window installation and refitting. Luckily, wont have to tackle the front doors windows for a while and maybe retain some sanity (whats left).

Posted on: 2020/6/21 20:30
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved