Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Coil Connection
Just popping in
Just popping in

Trace
See User information
Regarding my 47 Custom Super Clipper 7 passenger, I'm installing a NOS coil into the firewall; the coil has a different style connection than the previous one. The replacement coil has a screw-on cap that the cable goes through and inserts into the coil, it does not have the more common connection that one usually sees. There is a small hole in the bottom on the fitting about the size of the conductor in the coil wire.
My question is - what is the correct way to install the coil wire into this device where I am assured of getting a solid connection and circuit from the coil to the distributor? Any tricks or techniques that would help?

Posted on: 2020/6/26 14:29
 Top  Print 

Re: Coil Connection
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As far as I know Clippers only used coils by Autolite or Delco with Autolite being used on the Customs. Both coils had the same single terminal arrangement on the bottom but the cups and method for securing the armored cable to the coil base were different. It sounds as if your NOS coil might be from some other car because to the best of my knowledge Packard never used a coil on the Clippers that did not have a screw or stud terminal of some type. Perhaps you could post a photo showing what you are working with and someone will be familiar with the coil and terminal connection.

Here is the coil off my 47 Custom showing the terminal and also the tabs used on that brand for holding on the cover cup. I believe it is the Autolite. Another pair of photos show both type of cups and the final photo shows the Delco with the different twist on method of cup attachment. It should also have a screw on terminal at the bottom for the connection.

Attach file:

jpeg  (88.71 KB)
209_5ef65b8040ead.jpeg 623X784 px

jpeg  (130.09 KB)
209_5ef65c4deb156.jpeg 985X617 px

jpeg  (110.51 KB)
209_5ef65c563ad82.jpeg 980X1009 px

jpg  (15.20 KB)
209_5ef65c6385775.jpg 346X624 px

Posted on: 2020/6/26 15:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
coils do not get better with age-The coil for this car with the connection on the back end is hard to find and expensive and prone for trouble because of age. I purchased a generic 6 volt coil-found a bracket on ebay to allow it to mount to firewall-ran a wire from the front of the coil along side the coil to the connection point in the firewall-not orginal but it works and has for about 10yrs.

Posted on: 2020/6/28 7:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
ebay listing for mounting bracket-372896661196

Posted on: 2020/6/28 12:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those brackets often found on ebay do the job but one thing I have been curious about is that there is no specific way to route the wire from the armored cable thru the bracket to the opposite end of a modern coil and reach the terminal except thru the tiny opening left at the screw clamp -- providing the coil diameter is large enough to leave a suitable opening when the clamp is tight. That seems a catastrophe waiting to happen if vibration or an accidental pull on the wire manages to cut or scrape the insulation and cause a short.

Anyone ever see one of the brackets installed -- possibly back in the day -- to know if the mechanics of the era drilled a hole thru the firewall for a grommeted pass thru or use any other good means of protection? About all there was at the time for protecting or wrapping wire was bulky friction tape and doubt a layer of that on the wire would even fit thru the clamp opening.

Posted on: 2020/6/28 13:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Trace
See User information
The coil I am installing was supplied by a very reputable Packard parts supplier in the Midwest. It was tested and is operating as it should on their tester.
The connection on the bottom of the coil is similar to the original one - it connects the armored cable from the ignition switch to the coil.No issues there.
My question is with the coil wire going from the coil to the distributor cap - the connection to the cap is your standard arrangement, coil wire With a brass connector that plugs into the distributor cap, but going into the coil, it inserts into a Bakelite piece that then screws into the coil itself. in he portion that screws into the coil there is a small hole that allows the conductor within the coil wire to pass through. How does this wire finish out to where it gives good contact?
Thanks to all who have responded, your help is appreciated.

Posted on: 2020/6/29 16:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds like you are speaking of a radio suppression device which in fact is a resistor. Most of those were removed over the years as plug wires were changed and are long gone by now. I have not seen one or know which type you might have. Here is an illustration of the stock Packard version that was commonly added in the days before resistor wires but there could be any number of aftermarket types mounted differently.

I also remember a gadget that appeared in the day that was "guaranteed to increase the spark intensity for a livelier engine". Advertised in just about every magazine aimed at the man of the house or the hot rodder in the family it was nothing more than a round plastic device which plugged into the coil or dist cap on one end and had the coil wire plug in the other to add a second gap. It theoretically make the spark work harder in jumping the two gaps but worked about as well as you can imagine.

Attach file:

jpg  (186.92 KB)
209_5efa5c88878ed.jpg 1226X1586 px

jpg  (82.62 KB)
209_5efa5eafd5878.jpg 1390X478 px

Posted on: 2020/6/29 16:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved