Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 120C Headliner
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Hello, all. I am now ready to obtain and install a new headliner in my '37 120C. What company would you recommend from whom I might obtain one? I see a number of companies out on the web but not knowing anything about any of them I would like to get some more information.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2020/7/19 13:17
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 120C Headliner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One thing you may want to consider is the material and color options. Most of the aftermarket places use a modern fabric which may not appear the same as your original and could look out of place. If you are concerned about authenticity or want to try and get something similar to the original you might ask for material samples before you commit to any particular store. SMS might have some fabric that is authentic for the era and may be able to make one. If you have any of the old headliner sending them a sample for a best match might prove beneficial.

My 47 originally had a wool broadcloth headliner in a thinner version of the same material that was on the seats. I opted to go modern due to the fact I was adding an AC unit and experimenting with placement of additional front vents at roof level. I did not want to cut holes in a proper wool headliner so went with a less expensive aftermarket from Kanter. The color choices available were good but the material is a fuzzy somewhat thin cotton and definitely not wool broadcloth. While it looks good, if the car was going to be judged, the modern headliner material is very noticeable and would result in a point loss. I understand that Kanter is no longer supplying upholstery products so no idea who else is out there.

Posted on: 2020/7/19 13:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Hirsch has lightweight broadcloth for headliners

Posted on: 2020/7/19 13:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
LeBarron Bonney might have your headliner material.

Posted on: 2020/7/20 12:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe someone mentioned LeBarron Bonney was no longer in the old car upholstery business. Their website comes up with their name at the bottom but what they list as categories seems to be a conglomeration of other items and aftermarket type stuff.

Posted on: 2020/7/20 12:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
LeBaron Bonney filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy in March 2019. My memory could be failing me but I seem to recall that their inventory and assets were bought by SMS.

Posted on: 2020/7/20 13:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
I am finally getting back to this. Does anyone out there have pictures or diagrams of how the upper bows on the headliner are installed. When I obtained my car, they were just sitting there in the body without any indication of how they need to be installed.
Again, I thank everyone for their help and information.

Posted on: 2020/11/25 20:46
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Hello, I have a 1937 "120" Sedan parts car without a headliner installed, so I took a few photos for you. If you need other close ups etc. just let me know.
Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (205.79 KB)
85430_5fc17ef2c42f3.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (231.73 KB)
85430_5fc17f6c42e21.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (243.51 KB)
85430_5fc17f8eb826b.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (235.32 KB)
85430_5fc17fabc2f81.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/11/27 17:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks for the pics. I'll definitely put them in my library. What I really could use now is pictures of how the headliner itself is installed with the metal bows. I've looked at the original upper framework and could not see anywhere these metal bows attach. Also, I could not get them to fit with the upper framework in place. So, right now I am at a standstill on this part.
You said you had a 120 parts car. Would you possibly have in these parts the gear shaft to the passenger side front wind wing? It is the geared piece that fits up into the wing frame and down into the frame. It then engages with the worm gear that is turned when the wing handle is turned to open or close the wing. Mine is missing two teeth so the wing will not close completely.
Again, thanks for the pics.

Posted on: 2020/11/27 18:17
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Those gears are, or at least were, being reproduced but I'm not sure if they still are. I had a gear for the vent window in a somewhat newer car become stripped in the last couple teeth and, as it was potmetal, I had good welder available who built it back up, then it was machined back to the proper shape. It lasted for decades and, as far as I know, still works!

Posted on: 2020/11/27 18:32
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved