Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 200

Bill, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: The "Packard Plan" Videos
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Maybe it makes sense if the golfer were at a certain point, and the Packard started a distance away. As soon as the packard came to the point that the golfer was standing at, the golfer hits the ball. They would both be traveling at the same speed, but he Packard gets to the finish line first?

I don't think that's the way Packard wanted it perceived, I'll look for the still photos which of course may have been staged, "Truth in advertising" wasn't in full bloom then.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Thanks for posting those, P-don. Not to nitpick, but it's EAST Grand Boulevard here in Detroit when describing the Boulevard that the Packard plant is on. "The Boulevard" circles the downtown area some miles out from the center and is divided into East and West by Woodward Avenue, the main drag in town. Until reciently (late 80s) the east and west sides of town were worlds onto themselves, someone brought up on the west side wouldn't think to go to the east side and vice-versa. The few times you did you got lost, all of the roads you knew on your part of town changed names (and veered off in queer directions on the east side) and certain roards change names twice in the journey!
The truly odd thing is, the I-696 expressway, built just north of Detroit to link east and west (finally) opened the same week the Berlin wall fell. Talk about your irony!

Posted on: 2009/2/20 18:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I fixed the wording to reflect the correct street name Mr.Pushbutton. Thanks for the heads up. I want to go to visit Detroit some day, I'll try and remember.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 19:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
portlandon wrote: Maybe it makes sense if the golfer were at a certain point, and the Packard started a distance away. As soon as the Packard came to the point that the golfer was standing at, the golfer hits the ball. They would both be traveling at the same speed, but the Packard gets to the finish line first?

That's my take on the situation. Just did a little back of the envelope figuring and came up with 117.4mph average speed for the Packard to cover 230 yards in 4.1 seconds. The golf ball would have it's fastest speed when impacted by the club head, this would be initially faster than 120mph but thereafter is constantly decreasing in speed as drag slows it down. Note, googled "golf ball speed" and the current golf ball speed off the club head record is 204mph(Wikipedia). Also found a reference that a golf ball leaving the club head at a speed of 148mph has slowed to 47.5mph by the time it hit's the ground(Pat Ryan Golf. Interesting Golf Facts. 07 June 2006.).

Posted on: 2009/2/20 20:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Thanks for posting the film segments. I was lucky enough a few years back to obtain a vcr tape with that complete film
on it. I copied the vcr tape over onto dvd. Made two copies of the tape, one for myself and one for the fellow who loaned me the tape.

I guess I will have to hunt through my automobile video library over the weekend and view the dvd again.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/2/20 21:26
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Why heck, the video of the 40 Super 8 v. the 39 Super 8 explains why I can't cruise over 70 mph; I have my 4:36 drag pack gears for doing 13 second flat standing acceleration runs to 60 mph.

I will switch out to my 3.92 test track gears for hands free cruising at 104 mph!

I have seen this before and love it. This was the video that inspired me to get the overdrive back in my car, and investigate high speed gearing.

Glad you posted this!
Jim

Attach file:

jpg  (16.24 KB)
169_499f898e3c6da.jpg 300X400 px

Posted on: 2009/2/21 0:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Jim,

From your pic there's already some hands free cruising being done!

Posted on: 2009/2/21 1:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Mal,

I will not rest till it is hands free and able to cruise at 104 mph!

Posted on: 2009/2/21 1:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
John (JW), Brian (BH) & Co. , let's refresh the idea of a video shelf.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IPKvbP-nWwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2011/12/12 14:03
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EiFCHEW6Htg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2011/12/12 14:03
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved