Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 61

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1937 120-c convertible front bow
Home away from home
Home away from home

Karl
See User information
There is never a gap like this between Window Frame and Front Bow. And right, its warped .. because ... it?s wood. I saw this kind of warped wood front bow over the years a couple times.
The reasons are different .. they are made not for 80 years. And sometimes they are not strong enough if they are not made by multiple layer of wood where the woodgrain is glued in different ways. The reason for this kind of gap is the power which pulled by the strong conv.fabric on the top bow. Specially if the bow is fixed only on the outsides of the window frame. Over the years the wood front bow gets wet and dry ... and ... wet and dry and always the fabric is pulling on the front bow. This could be aggravated by a bad work of the Upholsterer ... if he worked not precise enough if he sewing together the middle and outside parts and then he try to pull out the wrinkles over the front bow... so .. an additional power pulls on the front bow because the fabric is to much stretched. And if he used an cheap Fabric material ... the rubber insert will shrink .. like cheap material do it sometimes ... and a lot of power lift over the years the middle of the front bow .. because ..the ends are fixed on the outside of the Window frame. And then the front bow looks like yours. To fix a problem like this is ... to fill up the gap by wood pieces which fit exact into the gap. I use therefore long-time stored ash. Cut it in the right thickness (like the furthest distance of the gap) and glue it on place with PU wood glue (like waterproofed Titebond .. purple bottle). There is a little bit work on it now to bring it on the right shape that it fits without a gap on the window frame but it's the only way to do it right and install the weather sealer on the right place. Hope my lousy English make understanding what I try to explain.
Karl

Posted on: 2020/8/20 3:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Karl - your explanation is fine. Agree on Ash.

Posted on: 2020/8/20 7:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Better hurry ash trees are getting few and far between.... Ash borer cleaned them out here about 3 or 4 years ago.

Posted on: 2020/8/20 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

Carl24 wrote:
There is never a gap like this between Window Frame and Front Bow. And right, its warped .. because ... it?s wood. I saw this kind of warped wood front bow over the years a couple times.
The reasons are different .. they are made not for 80 years. And sometimes they are not strong enough if they are not made by multiple layer of wood where the woodgrain is glued in different ways. The reason for this kind of gap is the power which pulled by the strong conv.fabric on the top bow. Specially if the bow is fixed only on the outsides of the window frame. Over the years the wood front bow gets wet and dry ... and ... wet and dry and always the fabric is pulling on the front bow. This could be aggravated by a bad work of the Upholsterer ... if he worked not precise enough if he sewing together the middle and outside parts and then he try to pull out the wrinkles over the front bow... so .. an additional power pulls on the front bow because the fabric is to much stretched. And if he used an cheap Fabric material ... the rubber insert will shrink .. like cheap material do it sometimes ... and a lot of power lift over the years the middle of the front bow .. because ..the ends are fixed on the outside of the Window frame. And then the front bow looks like yours. To fix a problem like this is ... to fill up the gap by wood pieces which fit exact into the gap. I use therefore long-time stored ash. Cut it in the right thickness (like the furthest distance of the gap) and glue it on place with PU wood glue (like waterproofed Titebond .. purple bottle). There is a little bit work on it now to bring it on the right shape that it fits without a gap on the window frame but it's the only way to do it right and install the weather sealer on the right place. Hope my lousy English make understanding what I try to explain.
Karl

Karl, thank you for that explanation. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to fix this and it be normal. Onto the next phase and find a good wood worker. Thanks again

Posted on: 2020/8/20 13:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
This is not much more than a Saturday project for someone with reasonable skills and tools. Most importantly a bandsaw to follow the curve of the upper windshield bar.

Posted on: 2020/8/20 19:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
I'm also on about the same phase of a restoration of a 37 "120" conv. coupe. I took a look at my original header bow today and set it on the windshield frame and only had a slight gap. My header bow also has a strip of wood about 1/4" to 3/8" of an inch attached to it as seen in the photo's. This is forward of the groove for the rubber seal.
My car was a partially disassembled basket case when I got it and a question I have for you is on the metal bow attachment bolts. I'm missing them and they look to me that they were 1/2-13 bolts threaded about a half inch below the hex head, then just a straight shaft thru the bow and into the mounting bracket? If this is correct I'm going to have them made unless anyone knows where I can obtain a couple?
Thanks
Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (283.13 KB)
85430_5f3f1ee30c49f.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (281.43 KB)
85430_5f3f1efedc8e9.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (353.91 KB)
85430_5f3f1f20e7b27.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (256.20 KB)
85430_5f3f1f399cd3e.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/8/20 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

flackmaster wrote:
This is not much more than a Saturday project for someone with reasonable skills and tools. Most importantly a bandsaw to follow the curve of the upper windshield bar.

I'm guessing if the gap between bottom bow and top of the windshield is filled then some of the bow on the top center would need to be sanded slightly to remove some of the positive bow height? Don't know if that would make much of a difference in the fitting of the fabric?

Attach file:

jpg  (236.25 KB)
200605_5f3f56d2a6621.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/8/21 0:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Dave,I'm trying to envision yours. So if that small piece of wood attached in front of that groove wasn't there. Would you have a large gap as well? Or does that sit lower and cover the top of the windshield top frame a bit more?

Posted on: 2020/8/21 0:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

David Patla wrote:

My car was a partially disassembled basket case when I got it and a question I have for you is on the metal bow attachment bolts. I'm missing them and they look to me that they were 1/2-13 bolts threaded about a half inch below the hex head, then just a straight shaft thru the bow and into the mounting bracket? If this is correct I'm going to have them made unless anyone knows where I can obtain a couple?
Thanks
Dave

Dave. I don't know if these are what you were talking about. If so they are 5/16-18. Unfortunately I don't know where to obtain them. I vaguely remember seeing them somewhere but I can't remember where.
Paul

Attach file:

jpg  (178.28 KB)
200605_5f3f6e805a8fa.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (265.82 KB)
200605_5f3f6e949d471.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (147.37 KB)
200605_5f3f6eab33386.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/8/21 1:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
If anyone would know of a source for those it would be the Flackmaster!

Posted on: 2020/8/21 1:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved