Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 26 »

Re: Dad's 5677A
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On 55-6 models the manual brake master was bolted to the center X frame rail and there was an opening in the floor for access to fill the cylinder. I cannot say for sure exactly what the cover looked like since the opening was generally not on senior models because they rarely had manual brakes. It probably was just a round plate held by a couple of sheet metal screws.

You might see if there are any small holes around the edge of the opening that screws might thread into. If you find some then adding a bit more to that distance would give the approximate diameter of the plate.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.13 KB)
209_5f978d807af4f.jpg 718X966 px

Posted on: 2020/10/26 22:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
Thank you Kevin & Howard. My car has the power brakes so I won't need the access hole, will make a plate and seal it once the floor is stripped and ready to be coated. Thanks for the suggestions of the body bolts being problem ares, will look at that too. Maybe put some new rubber in while I am at it

Posted on: 2020/10/27 7:14
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
Question
Is there not a body illustrated part plate for the 1956 Executive 5677A? was hoping to find something to narrow down the search for the body moldings.. I see stuff identified in the actual Master parts list, but being unfamiliar with some of the terminology(what I would call locations), I'm a bit lost................

Posted on: 2020/10/27 14:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, the 5677A is officially a senior but, of course, it was built on a Clipper Custom platform and replaced that model in the lineup so certain things might be considered junior even if the car itself isn't. I'm saying this not so much to correct you (heaven forbid!) but to clear up the record for anyone reading it later.

Posted on: 2020/10/27 14:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Dads 56 wrote:
Question
Is there not a body illustrated part plate for the 1956 Executive 5677A? was hoping to find something to narrow down the search for the body moldings.. I see stuff identified in the actual Master parts list, but being unfamiliar with some of the terminology(what I would call locations), I'm a bit lost................

There is no separate illustration for the Executive as it was such a late addition.
Closest will be Plate No. 9 for the Custom Clipper.

Location is determined from the Group No.so you need to go to that number in the parts list and look for 5677A part numbers. This can be a bit confusing since the same part number can be used for other models with a different description.

For example on the front fender, Group 30.7805, the heavy cast pot metal moulding part number is shown as 461354-55 Right & Left Center for 5677A and other Clipper models but is also shown as the upper moulding for 1955-56 Packard models. Basically the same part used for all 1955-56 models.
Moulding 6485450-51 is shown as upper for the 5672A and 5677A Executive models only as it is different from the upper moulding for Clipper models.

Hope this helps a bit.

Posted on: 2020/10/27 22:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
It does help, wasn't sure what to look for before. I spent a few hours today going thru the book. Think I have most of them identified now

Thank you!

Posted on: 2020/10/28 20:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
So decided to get the gas tank properly cleaned and tested. Should be ready in the next couple of weeks.

Question. They asked what color I wanted the tank painted after primer......................I honestly don't know. Didn't look like it was painted originally. Been searching the forums and the web to no avail.

Should I just paint it black? Or a silver to kinda match the original state?

All this in preparation to starting it for the first time in 40+years. Have blown the fuel line out with compressed air. A rebuild kit for the fuel pump has been delivered, will work on that soon. Although Dad did have an Electric fuel pump under the hood, maybe just use that for the initial start up?

Another question
Can the fuel sender be cleaned up and tested? I did read somewhere about ohm readings for them. I have 2, other then fuel varnish on them they look? .....fine? It seems a $70 replacement in the US is $230+ here in Canada. And Napaonline won't ship to Canada........go figure.

Still airing the car out, might get in the garage for the winter yet 🙄

I stand corrected, maybe amazon.ca is an option

Posted on: 2020/11/3 23:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I believe the gas tank should be silver. At least it was on the 54's, and they have the same tanks as the '55-56.

Kevin

Posted on: 2020/11/4 0:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Dads 56 wrote:
So decided to get the gas tank properly cleaned and tested. Should be ready in the next couple of weeks.

Question. They asked what color I wanted the tank painted after primer......................I honestly don't know. Didn't look like it was painted originally. Been searching the forums and the web to no avail.

Should I just paint it black? Or a silver to kinda match the original state?

Another question
Can the fuel sender be cleaned up and tested? I did read somewhere about ohm readings for them. I have 2, other then fuel varnish on them they look? .....fine? It seems a $70 replacement in the US is $230+ here in Canada. And Napaonline won't ship to Canada........go figure.

Still airing the car out, might get in the garage for the winter yet 🙄

I stand corrected, maybe amazon.ca is an option

The gas tank was originally coated with terne plate which is a tin/lead alloy that has a dull silver colour, so silver would be a good choice.

The float arm on the Ford/Thunderbird fuel sender is a different length than the Packard one but otherwise the same as the Packard unit.
It would be worth trying to clean up your old fuel senders. They can be taken apart by carefully bending the tabs that hold the upper unit together. The resistance wire that is wrapped around a semi-circular insulator is often damaged.

You might try checking with the Mustang Shop in Calgary for a replacement sender.

Posted on: 2020/11/4 1:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sean,

I painted the fuel tank on my '41 Packard with POR-15 Silver. It's fairly bright for the application. The terne plate dulls over time so I suggest if you paint it silver, try and have a silver with a matt finish.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.64 KB)
226_5fa25065ab928.jpg 854X640 px

Posted on: 2020/11/4 1:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 26 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved