Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 37 38 39 (40) 41 42 43 ... 146 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Nice.

Posted on: 2020/11/10 9:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
The video was a great idea Kevin! Sure is a big difference. I used a similar material (from Eastwood) on the roof of my '64 Studebaker and it made a similar improvement.

You are moving right along on that Packard!

Posted on: 2020/11/10 19:07
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
Kevin,

I used a similar insulation product on my '39 Ford sedan. Cleaned and primed the roof and applied a product called HushMat. Car was painted black and after about 6 months in the Florida sun, it started coming unattached. Removed the headliner and removed the material. For my Packard, I sprayed the roof with LizardSkin thermal and sound deadener. Water soluble and sprays with an undercoating gun.

Joe

Posted on: 2020/11/11 13:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
ptv and Paul - Thanks! Glad to be making at least a little bit of headway.

Joe - I read of your experience on your build thread, which gave me pause before I bought this. I ended up going with it because many people have had success with it, and my climate is significantly different than what you live in. We don't have a long warm season, and it is only hot for a few weeks here. Plus the roof will either remain white or be repainted into the original ivory. So I don't anticipate it getting too hot. Hopefully...

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/11/11 16:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

Tinman wrote:
Kevin,

I used a similar insulation product on my '39 Ford sedan. Cleaned and primed the roof and applied a product called HushMat. Car was painted black and after about 6 months in the Florida sun, it started coming unattached. Removed the headliner and removed the material. For my Packard, I sprayed the roof with LizardSkin thermal and sound deadener. Water soluble and sprays with an undercoating gun.

Joe

I used the Eastwood X-MAT? UNDERHOOD AND HEADLINER sound deadener on my black Studebaker roof. It sat out all this summer and no issues. I specially went with this product since it was for high heat applications.

Sorry Kevin, don't mean to tromp all over your thread.

Posted on: 2020/11/12 5:45
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Kevin, did you need to do any relief cuts in the material where the roof has compound curves to it such as the front corners?

John

Posted on: 2020/11/12 9:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Paul - I was considering using a bit of this stuff on the underside of the hood to stop vibrations, then cover it with a correct fiberglass mat. I just don't know how well it will hold up to the heat, even with the fiberglass insulation. I might look into the Eastwood stuff if it's designed for high heat.

John - I didn't do any relief cuts. The curvature of the roof makes the edges of the mats go off in different directions, and I just cut pieces to fit until the whole roof was covered. Then I went through and taped every seam and all outside edges with aluminum tape. It seems solid enough.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/11/12 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
Kevin,

I think my problem was the fact that the pieces I used were 12"X24" with the seams taped. Looks like the pieces you used were larger. The bigger the pieces, the better it would probably hold.

Joe

Posted on: 2020/11/13 13:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Well that was a job. Not terribly difficult, just time consuming. I spent an hour or so each evening this week, after the kids went to bed, applying sound deadener to the entire floor of the cabin. Finally wrapped it up today. Inside the doors will be done after I clean and paint the inside metal with something to protect it. Currently have used 1.5 boxes of Noico material and almost an entire roll of aluminum tape.

I carried the sound mats back underneath the rear seat. All seams were taped with aluminum tape. I still need to cut out the holes for the seat mounts and front seatbelt mounts.

I meant to ask this earlier, but why does my toe plate have a hole for a clutch pedal? It's an automatic, and the plate is made for the Bendix TreadleVac to mount to, so I don't understand the reason for the other hole. I'd like to get it sealed up somehow, but didn't weld it because I wasn't sure.

Also, the mounting spot for the power brakes is currently wide open. I'll likely fab a piece of metal and gasket that will bolt in and block that spot off. At some point I will likely go back to the original power brake set up, but that will come later. Time and money. I have most of the components from the Easamatic that came with the car (pedal, boot, booster cylinder), but I'm missing things like some of the vacuum parts on the booster and the entire master cylinder. Probably better off to just buy a completely rebuilt unit. Then I need to see if I can even still use the factory brake pedal.....there was some weird stuff done when the PO installed the aftermarket (Ford?) dual master cylinder and huge brake pedal.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  (125.12 KB)
1059_5fb0accd76614.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (122.99 KB)
1059_5fb0acde2e423.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (110.38 KB)
1059_5fb0aceb0638e.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (84.23 KB)
1059_5fb0ad14c6c47.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 2020/11/14 23:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Nice job Kevin. Yes, it does take some time to properly install the material as you did, versus just slapping it down!

Posted on: 2020/11/15 6:07
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 37 38 39 (40) 41 42 43 ... 146 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved