Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 113

TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1950 Packard color
Just popping in
Just popping in

JanCzech
See User information
Hello,

greetings from Czech Republic!

Could someone help me decode color and trim?
I am looking on the forum, and websites 2 days.....

Paint schema : BAM.S ?? trim 12.3.49 ??, see picture please.

Thanks

Jan

Posted on: 2020/11/20 12:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The photo of the data plate didn't come thru so make sure it is a format the website accepts. Those are listed under the attach file section. If larger than 10 megs you might need to resize it. The site accepts a fairly generous size so rather than a size change it might need a change of title to get rid of a wrong character. You also need to click the attach file button after you choose the photo to post.

The code you mention does not sound like an authentic Packard paint or trim code so without seeing the data plate not much to go on. The 12-3-49 might be the date it was sold but the other letters are not very helpful. Paint code was usually a single letter or maybe 2 letters if the car was a two tone and the trim code was usually 2 or 3 numbers.

Posted on: 2020/11/20 12:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day JanCzech,
to PackardInfo and for including your '50 Super Deluxe Eight Convertible Victoria Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/11/20 14:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

JanCzech
See User information
Hello, second attempt to send picture..

Jan

Attach file:

jpg  (186.22 KB)
222950_5fb940a5d0f77.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2020/11/21 11:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Just a couple of observations... I thought that the paint and trim codes for the 23rd series were stamped in ink at the factory which is why they often don't survive. It appears that the date of sale may have been stamped/embossed in the trim code space so maybe the dealer didn't get the memo. The condition of the paint on the cowl would indicate to me a re-paint has been done.

Posted on: 2020/11/22 10:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is there any trace of what might be an original color visible -- maybe under a tail light housing or some overspray under a door upholstery panel or under something else that might have been masked and not removed during a repaint.

You might also see if by some miracle a build sheet might have survived. Some have found them taped to the top of the glovebox and others have been found tightly folded up and stuck between the gas fill pipe and vent tube at the rear of the car. A few have been found in a door cavity or under the rear seat. The build sheet is a narrow strip of paper with one or two short lines of printed letters and numerals and maybe a short handwritten notation. If you do find it be advised it will be very brittle and easily damaged.

S is Coronet Blue Metallic and a valid color choice for a convertible. According to Bob Neal's book Packard -- 1948 to 1950, which is a comprehensive book on the production of the 48-50 models, that color was introduced in July 48 and dropped in Feb 50. B, A, or M was not offered on convertibles or in any combination.

The 22nd series color chart in the literature section of this site and the book says convertibles were only available in single color schemes -- S being one of them. Neal's book also says the convertible schemes were in effect from "July 48 to end" but it is unclear if he means end is the end of 22nd series production in mid 49 or the end of the entire 22-23 series body style and model production in 50. Other than some colors mentioned that were not available at all on 23rd series convertibles nothing is mentioned in the book about whether the 22nd series choices carried over to the 23rd series unchanged.

It does mention that the 2379 convertibles had only 4 trim sets available. Code 624, 626, 724 and 726.

You can download the INTRO section of the 48-54 parts manual. Other than Neal's book it gives the most comprehensive rundown of paint color and combos as well as the upholstery combos and what the fabric or leather colors and types were.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist4854/48-54_Intro.pdf

Posted on: 2020/11/22 12:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

JanCzech
See User information
Thanks for help!
It will be interesting work First (front)half of the car looks bright red, second (rear)dark red. Interior is a red leather.
Different question. Can previous owners be identified in a any registry in U.S.?

Posted on: 2020/11/23 5:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
The 23 codes are in the parts list or shop manual, back section I think.
Those reported do not look anywhere near valid codes. They inked them and they don't survive, as noted. This plate has been altered.
I had to reverse look-up the ones for the '49, thankfully it was original. Unfortunately, since P's defunct, there's no way to look up production records that I'm aware of. You can get drawings and other info from PAC and the Stude museum but there was a fire or something happened to them and the production records were lost. That's what both museums told me when I inquired. Packard museum doesn't have any documents, just donated/loaned cars and restorers.
eg: I was able to get a build sheet/complete info for another competitor brand that's still in business.

Posted on: 2020/11/26 18:47
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

JanCzech
See User information
OK, I am understand...
I'll look for a "little piece of paper" somewhere in the car to get information about the upholstery, and I'll try to find the original color, layer by layer

I will keep you informed of progress!

Posted on: 2020/11/27 2:38
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved