Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuel sending unit test
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Guys,
I received my new fuel sending unit from KM Lifestyles yesterday and wanted to hook it up and test everything before dropping the tank. I have a spare fuel gauge and can run 6 volt to the back of that, My question is: does the sending unit get 'live voltage'? I Know it is an OHMs resistance-type unit and obviously don't want to 'fry' it if it is not supposed to get power. Can someone offer some guidance as to how to 'bench-wire' the thing up so I can raise and lower the float and confirm the gauge is working? BTW, the new unit from KM Lifestyles is a beautiful piece; all soldered up and looks identical to the original, right down to the cork float covered with a coating to repel gas. Pretty impressed! Chris.

Posted on: 2020/11/19 15:23
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel sending unit test
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is an illustration out of the 38-39 SM. The gauge gets battery voltage from the negative battery post connected to one terminal. The other gauge terminal has a wire that goes to the sender terminal. Ground is normally provided by the frame, body and tank connecting the battery positive post to the gauge mount and sender mounting flange. This type gauge does need a ground to operate so to do a bench test run a jumper wire from the bat pos terminal and connect it to both the sender and gauge mounting flanges.

The gauge terminal connections are important and may be marked as to which is battery and sender but if not, usually BUT NOT ALWAYS the diagrams show the proper hookup.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.08 KB)
209_5fb6d9c11fff1.jpg 810X554 px

Posted on: 2020/11/19 15:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Howard,

That's a huge help. I will print the diagram and proceed carefully. I intend on using my spare gauge for the initial test and if need be, I can put a meter on the actual gauge and see where the hot negative goes. Once I get green-lighted with the bench test, I will just go ahead and install the sending unit. If the gauge doesn't work then, I know it's wiring or the dash gauge and I don't have to worry about the tank, as that is a bit of a bear to R&R. Thanks for the great info and quick response Howard. I'll report my findings. Chris

Posted on: 2020/11/19 16:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey Gents,

I did get my new fuel sending unit hooked up for a bench test and to my dismay, it is reading backwards!! (full with the float down and empty with the float up) In using the spare fuel gauge I have, (out of a 1940 Junior car - supposed to be the same gauge) the two posts on the back are differentiated by what looks like a red 'B' which I presumed was the hot post, (Battery) so that is the way I hooked it up. Is it possible just reversing those wires could make it reverse it's reading or would it appear I have an issue with the way KM Lifestyles has manufactured my unit?? I tried contacting them but had to leave a message and have not heard back from them. I want to try (even momentarily) reversing the wires but don't want to damage the new sender. Any words of wisdom, experience and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/11/24 16:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Well, being short on patience, I DID try just reversing the wires and it made zero difference - still reads backwards. Now I will just have to wait for KM Lifestyles to respond and see if there are any reversal procedures that I can do here. What looks like the actual sending device, is a small red, cylindrical unit attached just underneath the mounting flange. It has 2 contacts sticking out of it and the wire leading up to the contact post is soldered to ONE of them, so I am wondering if switching to the other contact may reverse the Ohms signal. The red cylinder also looks like it clips together so maybe something inside can be switched as well, to reverse the read. Sending it back from up here is both expensive and such a pain. Hope there's a way!!! Chris

Posted on: 2020/11/24 17:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Well, now the plot thickens.... I did hear back from KM Lifestyles and they informed me that they supplied an AC Delco sending unit for my car. 'Mike' at KM says that is what is standard for a 1939 Packard Six. He says what I need is a Stewart Warner sending unit. I mentioned that some Packards came with AC Delco ignition components and some came with Autolite and to my knowledge, I didn't think either was STANDARD, it is just what they were manufactured with based on the plant where they were made. Not sure how I thought I was getting a Stewart Warner unit, but that's what I presumed they were supplying. Now I have to return the unit and we start all over again. One would think if there are two very possible options on an application like this, that the supplier would have made some effort to find out what I had, but unfortunately, no-one thought to ask. Very disappointing.... Chris.

Posted on: 2020/11/24 18:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yeah they did use Stewart Warner gas gauges till 1947...

Just repaint the E and the F on the gauge face....

Posted on: 2020/11/24 19:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Need some help here guys. KM Lifestyles says a 1939 Packard Six with a 245 6-cyl would NORMALLY come with an AC Delco fuel sending unit, which is what they supplied. MY understanding is that these cars were built with either AC Delco ignition and gauge components, OR Autolite ignition and Stewart Warner gauges and sending units and NEITHER is considered 'standard'. Is that correct or am 'misperceptioned'??? KM Lifestyles lists both AC Delco and Stewart Warner under my year-range of Packard, so it would seem that they are, or were, at some point, aware that both brands were used - I just don't know why there was no effort made to ascertain what my car had BEFORE the order was put into production? Thanks for any help. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/11/25 16:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I didn't know Delco actually made gas gauges and sending units. Both Delco and Autolite were used for starters and ignition systems on Packard.

Posted on: 2020/11/25 16:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks, John.... - with neither being considered 'standard', right???? Chris.

Posted on: 2020/11/25 16:58
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved