Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 109

r1lark, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 'T' Throttle Cable
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Good eye, Howard... I hadn't originally noticed that as I was preoccupied with the knob comparison. I think corrosion was a common issue with these cables and, as they were not able to be separated (like say, a speedo cable) they never got lubed and as the rust and grime made it harder and harder to operate the knob, the outer cable cover bore the brunt, thus the stretching, breaking and inner cable kinking. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/11/28 17:32
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Afternoon...It seems to me that Dave Packard needed a cable recently and found an Aircraft Cable that worked very well for him...at least I think it was David...you might want to PM him...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/11/28 17:56
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Both 37-39 and 1940 style measure about 36" of cable length, not including the crimped portion. No, it ain't easy to get to the nut on the backside...
Universal choke cables, blethch!

Attach file:

jpg  (207.34 KB)
439_5fc2db177c175.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (232.31 KB)
439_5fc2db2daf6d8.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/11/28 18:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Universal cables are not the answer for sure but I am thinking good throttle cable assys are not that plentiful either if the one on ebay is any indication.

How much space is behind the cable end in the dash? If that cable with the yellowish knob on the far right of Flackmasters photo is a throttle cable it almost looks like the Bowden cable is crimped into a sleeve -- sort of like how the OD cables attach to their housing.

IF there is a crimp that can be split with a Dremel and the Bowden cable pulled out and replaced, then if there is space behind the dash for a couple of split collars a repair squeezing the split tight again to hold the new cable housing like I've done on the OD cables might work. Question would be how the inner wire attaches to the rod. On the OD cables it fits in a small hole drilled in the rod end. Wire is fed thru a half inch or so and a punch apparently smashes and expands the wire end thru a couple of access holes on the side of the rod to keep it in the rod. The throttle cable rod diameter is smaller so maybe the wire end is crimped or brazed to that rod.

Posted on: 2020/11/28 18:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I took a junker apart a while back. If memory serves, unlikely, I think it was braized on. housing is much smaller than the OD cable...

Posted on: 2020/11/28 18:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
David, the one in the first picture matches mine. Is the cable in any kind of shape? I agree with you re universal cables - if I can't get the 'real thing', I'll just leave it. If that piece in the photo is functional and for sale, I'd sure put the winning bid in on it! Chris.

Posted on: 2020/11/28 19:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Chris;

If you can't find a suitable OEM replacement . . . .

I'm going to plead not guilty on the aircraft cable research issue. I'm sure if I ever did find something appropriate the cost would be quite high. A while back I was toying with the idea of having a manual choke and throttle options and did find a few in the website that cater to post war Chevrolet trucks.

Here is one of many:
54-55.1 THROTTLE KNOB & CABLE-Brotherstrucks.com
That didn't seem to copy-over as a URL . . . the site is 'brothers trucks', again one of many.

Seems over the years many knob configurations were used by GM.

dp

Posted on: 2020/11/28 20:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information

Posted on: 2020/11/28 21:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Thanks ptv

Does anyone know what company made the knobs, cables, and such for Packard ? I suspect there were vary few companies making that type of hardware, so from one make of car to another perhaps there are very subtle differences.

dp

Posted on: 2020/11/28 23:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yes, thanks John. And David (Packard), the T-cable in the link sure looks 'close' and would be an option. There is something about matching components (like knob sets, and door handles, etc.) that to me, are important in preserving a vintage vehicle. Like I stated in my previous post, if I can find a 'real deal' replacement, I will go to the trouble of pulling everything apart and getting the T-cable in my car working; otherwise, I will just leave it as a non-functional knob that at least matches. One thing I AM curious about is how the Packard T-knob is attached to the assembly, as if I could move the original knob over to a new cable, I would sure consider that route. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/11/29 0:52
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved