Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 41 42 43 (44) 45 46 47 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Am I supposed to be seeing gas squirt into the carb when I open the accelerator? Because I'm not.

I'm trying to diagnose why the car won't start. I'm leaning towards a fuel issue. I had to prime the pump with injected fuel in order for it to actually start pumping anything the first time I ran the car after installing the new pump. Been a little over a week since that one start, and I can't get it to fire at all now. Didn't have this problem prior to the new pump.

Problem with the carb? Problem with new pump? Something else entirely?

Also, when the car was running last week the fuel in the bowl was nice and clean. The next day the fuel in the bowl had a strong yellow tint. I can't be seeing oil in the fuel again, can I? Is the fuel leaking back in from the carb (which is probably dirty on the inside)?

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/11/28 23:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Bingo! If you open the choke so you can see in the carb, you should see a squirt of gas when you move the throttel. That is the function of the accelerator pump. It squirts fuel for starting, and accelerating (transition). The rest of the time, your engine will suck the fuel it needs.
Your accelerator pump is not working. Time to rebuild your Carb. An enjoyable diy Job.
Or have a reputable Shop do it.

Posted on: 2020/11/29 14:21
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
And make sure to verify with the supplier that all the components in the carb rebuild kit are compatible with today's alcohol-laced gasoline. I have not come across any, but I understand there are kits out there that have accelerator pump seal material that is not alcohol-resistant.

Posted on: 2020/11/29 18:44
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
This is one place where NOS is not of value. Hard parts yes, soft parts no way. The carb king over on the AACA forums may be one good resource:

https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

Posted on: 2020/11/29 21:17
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks guys, that's what I was suspecting, but wanted to confirm. I was already wanting to rebuild the carb this winter anyways, so might as well get started on it now.

I want to do it myself because carburetors are like sorcery to me. I have no idea how they work and all the terminology goes right over my head. No better way to learn than to jump right in and see it with my own eyes.

I'm leaning towards getting a kit from Mike's Carburetors, which says that it's ethanol ready. https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter-WGD-Carburetor-Kit--K4136_p_684.html. I'm assuming this will work fine, and the ease of ordering online is always nice. My carb (2102S) is listed on the above link, so this kit should do the trick.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/11/29 23:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I was pleasantly surprised to see that their kits use a leather boot on the accelerator pump! Nearly every kit I've seen back in the '80s when I rebuilt quite a few of these used rubber of some kind but I've always thought the leather was preferable and will certainly hold up better with modern fuels.

Rebuilding the carburetor should be fun and a good learning experience for you. Be sure to refer not only to whatever instructions come with the kit but also to the shop manual and Packard Service Counselors. Also use a good quality cleaner. I've always used a Chem-Dip tank with basket but I see that the 5-gallon Professional version is very expensive these days! There are other brands too but be sure to use a basket and avoid contact with your skin.

Posted on: 2020/11/30 1:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Don, that's one of the ones I've been looking at. A lot of guys have cleaned these with Pine Sol, so I'm also considering that. Rebuild kit is ordered, so when that shows up I get to learn all about carburetors.

In the meantime I've been slowly crossing a few other things off the list. I picked up a roll of Reflectix insulation, and installed that on the floor. It's fairly thick and pretty noisy, so I'm not sure I'm totally sold on it. I put the carpet in over it and it crackles every time you move your feet. I didn't finish the last bit in the front (footwells and firewall) because I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it. We'll see.

The front seat brackets were wrapped up with some similar colored paint, then clear coat. I cut out the insulation where they mounted (insulation is thick) and used new hardware to install. All the old hardware was rusted and destroyed.

I reinstalled the carpet that came with the car. It's not original, and I'm not sure what kind of carpet it is. Boat carpet maybe? Color is right though. After the insulation layer, it doesn't fit very well. I may need to trim it a bit, but that means I have to redo the edge binding. I know the original carpet wasn't supposed to go under the sill plates, but I will likely keep it tucked under to prevent it from sliding around.

Next I pulled out my Paul Jewett for County Commissioner sign and applied insulation to one side, and indoor/outdoor carpet to the other. I used spray adhesive from Loctite. I think I would've preferred darker gray, but Home Depot and Lowe's hardly carry any of this type of carpet, so my options were very limited. It was either green or light gray. I put the seat panel back in for now. I still need to pop a couple holes in it and install some retainer clips. I don't think I will use the ones that came with the car....the panel is far thicker than the carboard one that used to be there, plus those retainers are a pain to get out. I'll probably use some generic plastic ones.

Now to start coming up with a pattern to cut out carpet for the rest of the trunk. Haven't decided yet if I want to cover everything back there, or just the floor. I'm not going to do the original flocking. I'd like the trunk to look nice, though I know that's not how they were delivered.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  (142.38 KB)
1059_5fc57a9adcea3.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (138.11 KB)
1059_5fc57aacb1e2f.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (128.59 KB)
1059_5fc57adee3193.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (90.06 KB)
1059_5fc57b8e34184.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (143.56 KB)
1059_5fc57ba6eca31.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (116.10 KB)
1059_5fc57bbe01ba7.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (168.71 KB)
1059_5fc57bda6793e.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (176.99 KB)
1059_5fc57c1c66b4f.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (109.65 KB)
1059_5fc57cea3098c.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 2020/11/30 18:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
That light gray indoor-outdoor carpeting sure looks familiar. I used it in the trunk of my 55 Clipper Super sedan and also on the interior floorboards. Affordable, attractive, and easy to work with. The white lines on the seams are chalk marks I used for cutting the carpet. I also used insulating material on the floorboards. It is the stuff used to wrap water heaters. Worked out well. Enjoying your posts and the progress you are making. Here is a photo of the trunk after carpeting.

Attach file:

jpeg  (56.21 KB)
565_5fc67b2235338.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2020/12/1 12:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
JW - I picked up this carpet after reading your build thread on the '55. I really liked the way your trunk had turned out, plus I liked the fact that this carpet didn't need edge binding afterwards. I bought the exact stuff you had used. I only wish I had patterns to follow to cut the rest of it. I'm sure I can figure it out by using paper, but it would be a lot easier with something existing to work with.

Did you put any insulation in the trunk? I seem to remember you doing jute or carpet padding under the main trunk area, but did you do that anywhere else back there?

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/12/1 13:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, no insulation in the trunk. The carpet was applied directly to the surfaces. I was lucky in that I had patterns for the trunk and interior floors; although, the pieces were badly stained and worn. I was most pleased with the results and felt the trunk was one of the best looking areas of the Clipper. Take care.

Posted on: 2020/12/2 12:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 41 42 43 (44) 45 46 47 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved