Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 96

29tons, kevinpackard, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Great Uncle Larry's 1955 Caribbean 5588 MDF 92
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I hope you are able to get a copy of the 1956 parade video.

Keep those pictures coming, that car looks in great condition.
Those brick samples I'm sure were kept level with the suspension.

I see convertible snaps on the front dash trim. I wonder if he had a cover for the car when the top was down?

I don't see a lock for the glovebox?
Is there a cardboard glovebox?
If the cardboard glovebox is still there, be careful with it. On top should have a making taped slip of paper with the build codes for your car.

I maybe misremembering, but I thought you can see the key code of the ignition switch just barely between the body and where the key goes into the lock.
I don't know if anyone has the codes to cut by now or not.

Posted on: 2020/12/1 11:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
I recently took my keys to the local locksmith. He mentioned they could cut keys from the existing codes.

Posted on: 2020/12/1 12:44
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I notice what looks like the boot bag behind the spare tire in the trunk.
That is interesting.
How does it compare to this one?
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=22104&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

The picture of your daughter getting into the car, looks like the top boot to the left of her. Did that make the trip?
That would be interesting to see as well.

Posted on: 2020/12/1 20:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

ZeroCool wrote:
Kevinpackard,
I admit that I posted the 'good' side of the ol'Girl. There are cracks in the enamel, stains in the paint, wrecked and unnoticeable repair of the trunk lid, and several patches of white rattle can touchups here and there. ...But stand back while she is freshly washed and not dried, and she looks amazing. I also always loved the 'white jade/zircon/sapphire' combo.

Hello. Fascinating story and Caribbean. Some points:

? Your paint from the factory was not enamel but rather was nitrocellulose lacquer. World of difference. This lacquer does have a tendency to produce a condition known as "lacquer crackle" over the years. However the stuff is otherwise amazing in durability. I've seen it polish back to brilliant shine and clean, even when starting with slight surface rust.

? I strongly urge you to contact someone who is a professional automotive detailer who does work on high-end cars. Such a person ought to be able to advise you on proper clean-up and preservation. Also, such a person may be able to resurrect the proper appearance of the paint without damaging it. Also a professional detailer ought to be able to best deal with the original leather interior.

? You have not posted pics of the most important holy of holies... the top. IF it is original, it should have blue color on the inside. There are precious few original tops surviving... REAL original tops. It would be nice to see photos of the convertible top, inside and out and up close. Of course if the top is original, you'll want to take very extra-careful care of it... including not running it up and down a lot, hand-tucking when lowering, and more.

? Regardless of the top being original or not, you'll want to clean the hydraulic ram rods PRIOR to operating the top. This will prevent tearing of or other damage to the seals if they are at all savable.

Posted on: 2020/12/2 14:24
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ZeroCool
See User information
Quote:
I notice what looks like the boot bag behind the spare tire in the trunk.
That is interesting.
How does it compare to this one?
http://packardinfo.com

Good eye on the boot bag. That is exactly what that was. I recognized it as 'old' but imagined that it was some sort of tool pouch. Now I know. It is a kind of rubberized canvas. The black outer coating easily rubs off, so it will never get close to the white canvas cover again.

Quote:
The picture of your daughter getting into the car, looks like the top boot to the left of her. Did that make the trip?
That would be interesting to see as well.

The boot cover is also with the car. I will spread it out and get some pictures soon.

Quote:
I see convertible snaps on the front dash trim. I wonder if he had a cover for the car when the top was down?

Well there are also snaps on the top edge of the doors. I think there might have been a over the dash/seats cover, but I have never see it.

Quote:
I don't see a lock for the glovebox?
Is there a cardboard glovebox?
If the cardboard glovebox is still there, be careful with it. On top should have a making taped slip of paper with the build codes for your car.

Right, the glovebox lock is still missing and there is a cardboard box behind the door. I'll look on top/behind it when I can for the build codes. The pictures show that the ignition switch is missing, but it is there, just behind the dash.

I did purchase a NOS pair of locks for the glovebox and trunk(with flipper helmet) that are keyed the same. Those will arrive this week. The now 'extra' trunk lock will become a spare part, maybe available for trade/sale later. I did just get a key made for the original trunk lock after I picked it and took it to a locksmith.

The locksmith glanced at the lock cylinder and said "Ilco 1098L." I will bring him the ignition or door cylinder next. The key for one should fit the other, right?

-zeroCool

Posted on: 2020/12/2 17:58
1955 Packard Caribbean 5588 MDF 92 (restoring) (Preserving)
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ZeroCool
See User information
Leeedy,

Thanks for the pointers. Still new with all the terms & descriptions with antique cars. It is 'antique' right? (older than classic, younger than vintage I believe)

I am seeking professional advice at all steps along the way. This is a major reason I am 'here' because I want to "Ask the Man Who Owns One." Got to love this site!

As for the top, well its white(dirty grey) on the outside and white(not clean) on the inside. It feels like multiple layers and does not leak when she got her first bath in Florida. So it appears to be a replacement, an old replacement. Older than 1961, so I still need to exercise care with it.

-zeroCool

Posted on: 2020/12/2 18:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
"Classic" and "Full Classic" have a narrow meaning - not trying to reopen that can of worms, but you can check the Classic Car Club of America. Cars are older, mostly pre-war.

Posted on: 2020/12/2 19:17
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ZeroCool
See User information
Here are a few more 'before' shots. These are of the inside of the convertible top. I still have trouble believing that it was replaced within the 6 years that it was driven.

-zeroCool

Attach file:

jpg  (152.94 KB)
218061_5fc869ef475ab.jpg 1920X908 px

jpg  (115.50 KB)
218061_5fc86a0a10f12.jpg 1920X908 px

jpg  (122.23 KB)
218061_5fc86aa33e631.jpg 1920X908 px

jpg  (106.21 KB)
218061_5fc86ab6561aa.jpg 1920X908 px

jpg  (117.85 KB)
218061_5fc86ad26ae69.jpg 1920X908 px

Posted on: 2020/12/2 23:36
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ZeroCool
See User information
I said the inside of the top was white(not clean) but with the flash it looks different. Could it be possible that it is zircon? Now I need better lighting and peeking at the edges more. It's like that "what color is this dress" picture that was blowing up the internet not long ago.

How else could I determine if the top is original or replacement?

-zeroCool

Posted on: 2020/12/2 23:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2020/12/3 0:22
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved