Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1942 120 convertible, Carb heat shield and battery cable
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One place many consider generally authoritative to check for the correct intake manifold finish would be the Packards International Engine Room Detail and Judging Guide (2002). If no one beats me to it I'll check it later and advise.

UPDATE: According to the above guide, the intake manifold should be natural "as cast".

Posted on: 2020/12/21 12:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Dave, for looking it up. The basic rule of thumb is (at least for later cars) that if it is attached to the engine before it has been painted (such as water pump, oil pump, engine mounts, etc.), then it gets painted engine color. Since the manifolds were installed as a pair after the painting, then they are some other color. This one does look quite nice with the intake manifold being green, though!

Posted on: 2020/12/21 13:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As noted in their Guide, Packards International accepts refinishing the manifolds in flat black as an alternative to the correct "as cast" appearance, but that doesn't mean that other judging venues would accept that non-standard finish.

Where a natural cast iron appearance is called for as in manifolds, I've always been a fan of Eastwood's stainless steel high temperature exhaust manifold paint, not only does it give an authentic appearance, it's relatively long-lived, even on exhaust manifolds. Excellent product.

Posted on: 2020/12/21 13:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jerry
See User information
Thank you for the information, I as going from info I received from another Packard member. It's an easy fix to take it off and sandblast the green off and repaint it. I used spray graphite on the exhaust manifold and that leaves a very even finish that looks like bare cast iron and it protects the bare metal.

Posted on: 2020/12/21 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe that the front motor mount should be engine color. I even have quite a few (completely worn out) that still have green paint on them. Not sure why I still have them!

Posted on: 2020/12/21 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening Don...I wonder...of all your Packards, which would you favor as a daily driver...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/12/21 20:03
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jerry
See User information
An easy fix as I have a spare front engine mount I can paint green.

Thanks to all the insight on making things correct!

Posted on: 2020/12/21 23:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Good Evening Don...I wonder...of all your Packards, which would you favor as a daily driver...Ernie in Arizona

Ernie, none of my Packards has been driven in over 40 years but I am trying to get three of them back on the road. None, however, will be daily a driver (my 1954 Patrician once was) as all are stored at my Oregon shop which is 550 miles away.

Posted on: 2020/12/22 19:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved