Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

29- 640 Club Sedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Hydraulic valve lifters
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Failure of reproduction valve springs has been a sporatic issue for many years. Seems to happen rarely but then you have a rash of failures. Personally, I'd check the original springs and if they meet specifications I'd stick with them.

Posted on: 2020/12/31 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Not to hijack someone else's post, but how can one determine which springs go to which engine? Mine have gotten all mixed up between a prewar 245 and several 1951-1953 327s including one without hydraulic lifters and I would like to sort them all back to the engine to which they belong.

Posted on: 2020/12/31 15:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One simplistic approach would be to purchase a new, preferably NOS, spring for each engine in question and compare to your stock by physical and functional properties. The parts book should tell if a 327 with solid lifters has different springs than one with hydraulics.

PS - Egge catalog #1025 shows the same valve spring for 356, 288, 327 and 359 engines as well as 1947 and later 245 engines. It also shows the same (but different) spring for the prewar 237, 257, pre- and postwar 282 engines, and 245 engines prior to 1947. No differentiation regarding lifter type. I didn't check to see if that agrees with Packard's data.

Posted on: 2020/12/31 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Dave. I know that some of the springs I have are a little shorter than the others so I should put them all together to see that if there are 12 of one length, I would know that they go to the 245.

Posted on: 2021/1/1 12:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Mark thank you very much. I will send my request to Max Merrit. If you still have no issues with them, i guess they are OK. Best regards Josef

Posted on: 2021/1/2 14:49
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...The folks at Max Merritt are really nice...I perfer to call them on the phone and order that way...a better experience than on line...on line does not make suggestions or help figure out a problem...800-472-2573. or 317-736-6233. Also, its a small company, you can develop a relationship with them. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/1/2 17:34
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved