Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
30 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 30

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A little help with driver controls?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Scott Ales
See User information
Hello all,

I was very fortunate to purchase 2 Packard Clipper sedans this week at the Mecum Collector Car Auction in Kissimmee, Fl.

One of them is a 1947 2112 Clipper Deluxe. Both cars are what I would call, "Over-Restored". And slightly modified under the hood. The 1947 has the following modifications,
* Added 12 volt system to power aftermarket rotary compressor AC, 3rd brake light. So, alternator on right side of engine, original generator on left side.
* Newer (Ford I think) power steering pump attached to the backside of the 6 volt generator. This uses a hydraulic cylinder to move the tie rods.

Here's my question, the car started with a jump. But soon stalled after idling for a bit. Given the level of restoration, I am wondering if the car might have the electromatic clutch and overdrive. If so, I read elsewhere the system is related to the throttle linkage.

Does anyone have a way of determining if this car actually has the electromatic clutch? Did they all come with the dash switch?

Secondly, there are a couple odd switches and or knobs under and near the steering column. One controls a cable, thinking that might be overdrive. The other is on the right side of the column and is a pull electric switch. looks like a period correct knob, yellowish bakelight maybe?

Seems like the car is fine to drive and the former 100 year old owner who passed last year is both disgusted and laughing at me trying to figure all this out!

Will be back out on the auction grounds today fiddling with both cars. Trying to

Attach file:

jpg  224779_60017c40efdc3.jpg (395.94 KB)
224779_60017c40efdc3.jpg 1920X1081 px

Posted on: 2021/1/15 6:28
1941 1401
1947 2112
 Top  Print 

Re: A little help with driver controls?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The EC option consists of several components almost all of which are bolted onto the left side of the engine. The on/off knob may be in the dash but if the option was not present the switch is not there so knob was mounted to a fixed stud and is just a place holder.

You can tell if the car has OD by checking the firewall for a relay. 47 should have the R9 OD and that relay assy is a large square black box with 6 terminals that is about midway on the firewall about the same level and to the side of the pivot for the accelerator linkage. If the OD was changed to an R11 the relay is smaller with 4 terminals and a fuse on the side. In either case, the OD lockout knob is a larger knob on the right side of the steering column. Pull it all the way out to mechanically lock out the OD.

If the car has the optional vacuum antenna, there is a valve with a smaller knob which you push or pull that is positioned on the left side of the column.

There is nothing stock electric with a push or pull on the right side under the dash. Fog lites or other items in a heavily optioned car that might not have fit in the available dash positions are under the dash but were almost always rotary type switches.

Here is what the EC looks like. The tube between the valve and power cylinder is shaped differently on a 47.

Attach file:

jpg  209_6001b78bd1191.jpg (72.71 KB)
209_6001b78bd1191.jpg 1156X854 px

Posted on: 2021/1/15 10:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Well, since the car doesn't run...and I'm
feeling generous, will you take a post dated check? Just kidding, congratulations on your Packard's, this is the place to help you getting the cars running. Good luck.
Regards,
Steve

Posted on: 2021/1/15 11:23
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Scott Ales
See User information
They both started and ran nicely. The 1947 green example died after about a minute. I'm more inclined to think the float is stuck even though I can see gas in the bulb of the strainer. I have also since posting, found the restoration shop who did the work. very helpful and enlightening.
More to come!

It does have the vacuum antenna.

Posted on: 2021/1/17 6:59
1941 1401
1947 2112
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I wouldn't throw that baby out with the bath water just yet. Just because it failed on idle, isn't a biggy. Needs a thorough going through before street worthy, if it's been sitting or in storage.
Looks like a nice car, but I have no patience for 4 drs. The chrome is probably worth what you paid for it.

Posted on: 2021/1/18 20:16
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved