Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

Jimmyk, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 26 27 28 (29) 30 31 32 »

Re: 1937 120 Conv. Sedan - Blanche
Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
So it looks like my gas gauge is not working. I pulled the tank down and added a ground wire thinking that my do it but no luck!

Any other thoughts?

Posted on: 5/10 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Have you tried giving it a tap? I checked my sending unit with the gauge before installing in the tank and the gauge worked great. Then, when the sending unit was in the tank, my gauge wasn’t working. It turns out that it wasn’t the ground in my case, but the gauge was just sticking. I tapped on it and it popped up. It continued to stick for a while, but with use it has freed up to where it rarely sticks now.

Posted on: 5/10 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Thanks Don. Will try that. Was working fine prior to the work. But looking to try anything at this point.

Posted on: 5/10 16:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
So I am about ready to get Blanche in the road.

Finished up the running boards and trim.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Got my speedo back from Pat at Bills Speedometer.
So I was able to finish up the dash. Looks real nice. Chrome is shining! Started with the new hand throttle from Flackmaster. I had to get the others chromed to match!

I have 2 things that I am still working on.
1. Getting my turn signal to work with the LED lights. I went back to the regular bulbs while o research a bit more. Working with Gene at YnZ. All working ok with the standard bulb set up.

2. Gas gauge is not registering. I grounded it yesterday but still not recognizing volume. When I turn the key gauge pegs hard below empty. When I turn it off it returns to empty. I had to adjust the sending unit because it did not fit the tank. I may end up getting a new sending unit as Don did and get the 115.

My goal was to get her running in time for my daughter’s graduation and I did it! My mom wants to drive to the the ceremony.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the wives out there!

Cheers
Ben

Posted on: 5/11 14:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Way to go, Ben. Blanche looks great!

Posted on: 5/11 21:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Quote:

When I turn the key gauge pegs hard below empty. When I turn it off it returns to empty.

What you describe means it is possible you have the wires on the fuel gauge backwards? Worth a try to flip the wires and flip on the ignition.
BTW, it is looking fantastic!!
Bob J.

Posted on: 5/11 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I agree with Bob. It sounds like your sending unit is trying to drive the gauge the wrong direction. If so, that would indicate a polarity issue at the gauge.

Posted on: 5/11 22:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm running my gauge on negative ground, and it works fine. So I don't think polarity is the issue.

I'd look at the fuel gauge troubleshooting chart. It goes through a few different scenarios. It the tank ground is missing it goes to hard empty I belive. But if it's shorted it goes to hard full.

Some problems can be between the gauge/sender/tank and some internal the gauge itself.

Also make sure the gauge itself is grounded to the dash. New paint makes a wondeful insulator.

Posted on: 5/12 7:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The King-Seely gauges that use a resistive heating element and bimetallic "motor" are not polarity sensitive.

Another type, the "balancing coil" type, probably ARE polarity sensitive. Ford used a lot of the King-Seely type, and GM used a lot of the balancing coil type. Packard may have used both. The gauge schematic above looks to be a balancing coil type, with two tiny coils and a free-swinging needle.

When working properly, the King-Seely type will always park the needle at one end of the scale when turned off.
The balancing coil type may or may not have a default "Off" position.

Posted on: 5/12 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Thanks for the trouble shooting chart Big Kev, another wonderful piece to our data toolbox!
Bob J.

Posted on: 5/12 8:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 26 27 28 (29) 30 31 32 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved