Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 91

kevinpackard, acolds, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Converting back to six volt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Any idea what gauge the the wire from the starter to the ammeter would be… ? I have a really nice 41 specific diagram color coded but it does not state the wire diameter

Posted on: 5/10 18:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
What’s the ammeter read on these? If nothing, what’s the current regulator rating in the voltage regulator?

10 ga for 30A
6 ga for 50A

Posted on: 5/10 18:18
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can download this 42 diagram and correlate your 41 diagram to the same run in 42 to get most of the factory wire gauges. The colors may be different between years but the wire gauge should be the same.

Alternately, since Packard mostly kept using the same wire gauges on almost all 6v models thruout the years you can download a later diagram which has the size information. Again, find the same run and use that size.

Posted on: 5/10 18:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
This is perfect, huge help thanks,,

Posted on: 5/11 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok figured it was around that thanks!

Posted on: 5/11 15:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Doing well so far on the re-wire…I’m stuck on one picture in the diagrams…the older Packard diagram shows a wire from the voltage regulator battery terminal running to the headlight junction block where it mixes with what appears to be a ground from the generator…the new diagram shows that same wire running into the side of the voltage regulator NOT to battery terminal of voltage regulator. I believe that the wire in question gets grounded to the voltage regulator somehow? Maybe one of the mounting screws? Or does it really connect to the batt terminal of regulator…I can’t see that being correct but that’s what I am seeing..I attached photos of the two diagrams…thanks!!
Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0183.jpeg (1,080.01 KB)
191389_664156aa40098.jpeg 3264X2448 px

Posted on: 5/12 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
The wire in question is number 44 on the old diagram

Posted on: 5/12 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There should only be one wire on the regulator BAT terminal and that goes to the ammeter. There is a ground wire (44) from the regulator to the headlight junction block where it joins a ground wire (23) coming from the generator case. That ground is needed to provide a solid direct ground reference to the regulator so regulator knows exactly what the generator is outputting without the voltage being possibly dropped or changed due to poor connections between sheetmetal or generator to block to body mounting issues. Some regulators have a special ground terminal where it connects and other regulators just have it go to one of the regulator to body mounting screws. On your lower photo it is shown going to a ground terminal on the regulator but in the upper colored photo the terminal is not marked or made clear.

I don't know which colored drawing you are working with but on your photo the black wire I see connecting with the red wire at the regulator ARM terminal is found only on the 356 engine with the large solenoid pinion shift starter. If that colored drawing you have is for the 160-180 models there will be some differences and some wiring shown that your 110 does not have.

Don't know if you have seen the AEA drawings which are much easier to follow wire by wire so here is one for the 41 110. As you notice there is only the one wire at the BAT terminal on the regulator and the second wire at the ARM terminal is not present in the 110. You will also see the two black ground wires between generator and regulator joining at the headlight junction block. At the regulator it is shown as just going to the case so it could be either a mounting screw or an unmarked ground terminal.

Attach file:

jpg  1941wiring-6cyl.jpg (258.23 KB)
209_66415faa6bb7b.jpg 1605X1250 px

Posted on: 5/12 19:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Great thank you! My diagram is for the 41 Packard 110… but maybe that part is incorrect…I’ll add pic

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0185.jpeg (1,296.56 KB)
191389_6641673329e14.jpeg 3264X2448 px

Posted on: 5/12 20:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yours appears to be a colorized version of an AEA drawing and since senior models didn't have electric wipers it may be sort of like some Packard diagrams where they issued a combination drawing for an entire series but left it up to the mechanic to determine whether or not a model had a particular feature and if he needed to use or discount any wiring shown for that feature.

The black wire in question shown connected to the regulator ARM terminal on your first photo was part of a starter safety circuit in senior models where the solenoid has a terminal which got ground thru the generator armature and coils that are connected to ground on one side. The wire only provided a ground if the engine was not running. Once the engine started and generator was putting out voltage, that black wire being connected to the generator armature output was then at the same voltage level as the wire coming from the starter switch. Since there was no longer any ground as long as the engine was running the solenoid could not pull in and accidentally energize the starter motor.

Posted on: 5/12 21:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved