Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 92

jgrohn, Packard Don, HH56, 53 Cavalier, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 rebuild
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mr.D
See User information
I purchased my 1940 Packard 110 in August of 2021. It had a Cosmetic restoration but was not running after sitting covered in cold storage for 17 years.After a gas tank restoration,a carb. rebuild, a new fuel pump, and Points and plugs. I got it running but experienced over heating problems.I flushed and filled the cooling system several times but after 2 years of experimenting I knew that I had to take the next step.By accident I found Mark Lamburt's 1938 Packard restoration on You Tube which helped me alot.Over the winter I finished the restoration. I pulled the front clip, removed the radiatorand had it boiled out. flow and pressure tested. Next Ipulled the front lever action shocks and sent them to Apple Hydraulics for rebuild, I rebuilt the generator. Moving on to the front motor mount rubbers. with the front motor mount out of the way I replaced the timing chain and gears.The brake lines had been redone but not the Master cylinder so that was replaced along with the front brake cylinders so I rep;aced them.As long as the front clip was off I replaced the water pump and water distribution tube and added an oil filter. With that completed I reinstalled the Rad. and new hoses. With an early spring in N.W. Pennsylvania I have driven it about 500 miles with no problems I have climbed all the hills that used to cause it to over heat with no trouble. My engine builder freind to me that I would be surprized at the increase in power the new timing chain would give me.He was right.

Posted on: 5/12 22:45
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 rebuild
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mr.D,
Sorry i missed your first post, but caught up now, so to PackardInfo

I invite you to include your '40 110 in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 5/12 23:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I used to drive my 1940 110 all over the state of Washington in at least a 100 mile radius from where I lived and even drove it down to San José, CA when I moved there in 1972. It was my resume when I applied for a machine operator job when I was 20 as it showed my mechanical ability after having disassembled and reassembled it as a teenager. Good driving and zippy car and if I wanted to get it back, it is available once again on Facebook Marketplace and still with the same JC Whitney tires it had in the ‘60s! I still have the original seat upholstery and wiring harness too. This car, which was originally a bright blue, was a bit odd in that it had the standard wood grain on the dash, windshield trim and front door window trim but the window trim in the rear was all blue with no trace of it ever having been wood grained. The seats and rear armrests were also blue in a heavy broadcloth.

Coincidentally, I came across this photo of it again yesterday (I may have posted it before) the one and only time I had to use tire chains (which I still have). The tiny bit of primer on the front fender was due to a collision between it and my 1939 Six when the ‘40 slipped sideways in the snow in the driveway which was downhill from where it is in the photo, hitting the ‘39’s rear fender but doing no damage to it. I had just sold the ‘39 but it had not yet been picked up.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 5/13 12:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved