Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: Ammeter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
How do I adjust regulator if needed.. it is brand new and specefic to the generator?

Posted on: 5/21 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
There will either be an adjustment screw or you bend the tang. Are you sure you bought a compatible regulator? Typically it will be adjusted pretty well out of the box.

Posted on: 5/21 23:07
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
I looked up the generator 4801 before I got regulator so I should be good…I will double check after doing gen test

Posted on: 5/22 8:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok ..I polarized generator at the regulator batt to field for quick spark…then disconnect the Field terminal on the generator leaving the ARM and GRD wires attached…I then clipped a ground wire from FLD to a good ground on frame with NO change at all in voltage reading ..when idling I’m at 6.1 volts…if I did this correctly am I to assume the generator is no good?

Posted on: 5/22 8:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I hope your description of using the field terminal to polarize was a typo. Polarizing is done by shorting the regulator ARM and BAT terminals together for a brief period. Everything hooked up but Ign key off so nothing is turned on when you do it. Repolarize again and redo the tests if you did use the field terminal.

Attach file:

jpg  polarize.jpg (131.19 KB)
209_664dfa0711ab9.jpg 1394X444 px

Posted on: 5/22 9:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Okay yes I did it wrong following another video….I depolarized went to start it and battery dead again..it was on charger last night and brand new…I also realized I did test wrong….so now I attached jumper to the field terminal of regulator …when I was accelerating it did go up to 7 volts…however when I grounded jumper cable.it sparks and drops to 5.5 volts..then returns to a high 6 or 7 when removing jumper…I read that as the battery being charged as voltage is increasing when accelerating…..?

Posted on: 5/22 9:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I m not sure what you have going on anymore. I think in order to be sure what is happening you will need to start testing again but with a known good regulator. There is a chance yours might have been damaged.

As you can see from this diagram of a typical generator charging circuit, by using the FIELD terminal when you polarized that put full battery voltage and current across some resistors in the regulator and the current and voltage regulator contacts which internally connect to ground. With one side of the resistors grounded the large current flow thru them could have changed their resistance or burned them open or the regulating contacts shown above the resistors that control whether they are in the circuit could have been damaged. There might be no damage at all but still it is unknown if the regulator is functional. You could still ground the field terminal to see if the generator will put out maximum voltage but that is about as far as you could go.

Attach file:

jpg  Charging Circuit.JPG (184.38 KB)
209_664e0418d3c72.jpg 1200X728 px

Posted on: 5/22 9:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok I followed the moss video who said to polarize generator thru the regulator using batt and fld…so idk..I’ll keep trying

Posted on: 5/22 9:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
I did ground the field terminal and voltage drops ….I’m grounding at regulator field

Posted on: 5/22 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Pulled cover of regulator and none of the contacts are moving when running…also it does appear the field contact are burned…I guess next step is another regulator tks

Posted on: 5/22 10:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved