Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: Ammeter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Battery is a month old

Posted on: 5/27 4:10
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
No drain on battery overnight..i noticed that when trying to start it after battery was drained again I heard a spark at the starter..maybe selenoid…this starter was rebuilt last year but used on the 12 volt system…I’m think maybe the starter is causing the battery to drain..could that be possible? If there is a drain on battery it is happening after I start it for sure.

Posted on: 5/27 8:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The starter should have zero power until the solenoid is triggered. If you see any power there when not actively starting, then there some kind of leakage occurring through the solenoid. Which means you need a new solenoid.

Posted on: 5/27 9:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
The ground side of the battery has 00 gauge cable routes directly to starter. When I test the voltage where cable is nutted to starter I’m getting full battery power 6.2 volts ….when I ground it to body and key is off…nothing to the selenoid…the starter shares the wire to power the horn and 10 gauge to ammeter..per original wiring diagram. So there should not be power going to the starter ?? That would explain a lot but how could it not have power when nothing in between the battery and starter?tks

So yes with key off ..starter getting full juice

Posted on: 5/27 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Just to clarify, it’s not the ground side of the battery that is connected to the solenoid. It’s the negative side. The ground side is the positive terminal.

Posted on: 5/27 11:03
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Ok, next: I assume you did the “spark test” as I wrote earlier? If so, again have the doors closed etc. so all accessories are off. Then just disconnect one side of the battery and hook up your multimeter ammeter in series. You should read NO current going thru. 1mA or less.

Please note that you should NOT try to use any accessories when your ammeter is hooked up; usually they only have a 0.2A fuse which any device will blow.

Here is a tutorial which is more specific if you need some photos:https://www.innova.com/blogs/fix-advices/how-to-test-for-a-parasitic-draw

Posted on: 5/27 11:41
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok I already did the spark test and just tiny spark with some light…I just competed tests for drain and one volt meter game me a reading of 0.29 volts…my other voltmeter read it at 0.45… I then tried just the battery with both voltmeters and they were consistent so I don’t know why they are different running the. In series with a cable off… o did similar test with test light in series and the light only came on when I turned on something….but again i am getting fully voltage at starter and yes it’s the ground side of battery…it’s getting confusing…..where do I go from here..?

Posted on: 5/27 12:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Jimmyk wrote:
I just competed tests for drain and one volt meter game me a reading of 0.29 volts…my other voltmeter read it at 0.45… I then tried just the battery with both voltmeters and they were consistent so I don’t know why they are different running the. In series with a cable off

Do you mean 0.29 AMPS? Or did you have it set to volts?

If it's set to volts, we can still use this result. Usually a digital voltmeter has 10k internal impedance at least, so since you're reading such a low voltage, the rest of the circuit is open. So this is a good result if it is set to volts like you said.

If you meant to say that it was set to amps, that's a very bad result and you have a lot of leakage.

Posted on: 5/27 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Set at volts so I guess I’m good with that….I guess I’ll try a new solenoid to starter?

Posted on: 5/27 14:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I wouldn’t. We already found that there should be no phantom drain. In addition, your charging system is working.

Can you remind me what actually isn’t working at this point?

It sounds like you should be able to use the car normally with no electrical issues. Unless I’m forgetting something (probably am).

Posted on: 5/27 16:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved