Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
260 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 258

Don Shields, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Upholstery Glue
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
As many of you may remember, the door cards on my Clipper are pretty rough. I don't mind the appearance but the upholstery hanging down is annoying.

Does anyone have a recommendation for glue to hold the cloth and vinyl in place against the cardboard, that does not significantly disturb the appearance? In other words I want it to stay but don't want it to look soaked with glue.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20240616-142229_Gallery.jpg (409.11 KB)
225076_666f3068f34f4.jpg 1370X1798 px

Posted on: 6/16 13:34
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Upholstery Glue
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Try 3M 77 spray.
Happy

Posted on: 6/16 13:49
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks. I'm also thinking of baking the panels in the sun, to soften the vinyl. I think I need to just pull them all off again and lay them on a table on a hot day. Only the passenger rear door card is currently in acceptable condition.

For what it's worth, the interior does not see much water anymore. It more or less only needs to withstand humidity.

Posted on: 6/16 14:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Best stuff to use is Weldwood Landau Top and Trim adhesive. The spray stuff should work well enough.

The stuff I got from my local upholsterer wasn't Weldwood, but it was industrial strength and this guy does high end work on classics. It has worked very well for me. The 3M spray has failed in the few things I tried it on. I would recommend high strength upholstery contact adhesive. You can spray or brush it. Works the same either way.

Posted on: 6/16 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks I bought that also just now.

Since much of the vinyl is warped I probably need the strongest stuff possible 😫 even though I'll try to get it straightened first.

Posted on: 6/16 19:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Thanks I bought that also just now.

Since much of the vinyl is warped I probably need the strongest stuff possible 😫 even though I'll try to get it straightened first.

I'll bet the vinyl is mostly rotten and won't stretch much, if at all. Likely will year if you try too hard. But if can salvage it for now that will buy you time to figure something else out if needed. None of the old materials in my car were salvageable. I tried.

Posted on: 6/16 19:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved