Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
265 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 264

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1949 rear shock absorbers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Kallman
See User information
update on the horizontal "stabilizer" shock on my 1949 Custom eight. After wire brushing the stamped area the numbers now reveal the following numbers: At the top in large font: B-6601; at the bottom SERIAL 4108. I have written to Gabriel to see if they still make this shock. James

Posted on: 6/19 11:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some have managed to have those rebuilt but I don't know if any of our vendors are doing it anymore. Possibly Apple Hydraulics will tackle them. I will be seriously impressed if you find a NOS or even parts from Gabriel to repair yours.

If you cannot find someone to repair yours or at least a rebuilt unit from one of our vendors, years ago someone else came up with a modification using a Ford Pinto rear shock and welding a plug in the long tube so that shock could be screwed on in place of the original. Doesn't make the grade in original looks but guess it functions.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 6/19 11:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe
See User information
Hey gang - for the rear horizontal shock, a company called A-1 Shock Absorber Company sells a reproduction of the original. They actually have a pretty enormous variety of options for shocks and springs. The only thing they don't deal with are the lever shocks. I have their rear stabilizer in my 2302 - actually a discernable difference in the side-to-sise sway. Highly recommend.

https://www.shocks2springs.com/p1397-rear-horizontal-stabilizer-shock-packard-41-46-47-48-49-418227.html

Posted on: 6/19 21:33
Joe B.
Greenville, NC
1950 Super Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan, Model 2302-5
327 w/ Ultramatic, 6v+
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved