Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 138

CartRich, 29tons, BigKev, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New project - 1942 Super 8 One-Sixty Convertible Coupe
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Zach Dillinger
See User information
I have a new project under way, a '42 160 Convertible Coupe that I purchased from the estate of Charles Blackman. It needs a lot but is very solid. I'm going to need a lot, including most of the front end sheet metal, but I'm picking away at it.

I will have many questions but my first question for now is the correct finish for the interior metal surfaces that will be below sound deadening/interior panels/carpet. It sure appears that the car only has that salmon-colored red oxide primer on the interior surfaces under the now rotten sound deadening (except where a previous owner hit it with some gray primer after sandblasting... should this metal be body color or would it be left in this red primer?

Thanks,
Zach

Attach file:

jpg  20240622_100405.jpg (1,475.18 KB)
67563_66797a8f3e986.jpg 2016X1512 px

jpg  20240622_123314.jpg (1,183.71 KB)
67563_66797ade67b45.jpg 1512X2016 px

Posted on: 6/24 8:56
"I was going to buy my girl a Packard car for Christmas, but it took too long to deliver, so I bought her some handkerchiefs." - the inimitable Mr. Benny
 Top  Print   

Re: New project - 1942 Super 8 One-Sixty Convertible Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
They only painted the exterior and visible portions of the cars. Even at 82 years old it's still not rusted from atmospheric exposure, so that's why. Just primer will keep it from flash rusting, and there was simply no need to apply actual paint in those areas.

Good engineering includes not wasting money on what is essentially perfectionism.

Posted on: 6/24 9:16
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Zach Dillinger
See User information
Another question: the patent plate on this car shows "F-94-X" in the "city" field. The actual city, Greensburg, PA, was squeezed in under the dealer name in the top line.

I assume the F refers to paint code, so Legion Blue above the moldings and Algiers Blue below... where could I find what the 94 and X refer to? I assume it's the trim code or something but I can't seem to locate that information for a 42 (or even for a 41).

Posted on: Yesterday 10:02
"I was going to buy my girl a Packard car for Christmas, but it took too long to deliver, so I bought her some handkerchiefs." - the inimitable Mr. Benny
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Packard didn't stamp those areas of the plates. They were left blank, and the dealer was supposed to stamp that with the dealership/city and the date of delivery, as that was supposed to mark the start of the warranty. But many cars left the dealership unstamped. So, repeated letters were sent out to dealers over a 10-year span, reminding dealers to stamp those plates.

My '37 has an original unstamped plate.

So that stamped number could have been anything. I doubt it had anything to do with paint/trim codes. It could have been an inventory or sales invoice number from the dealer.

Posted on: Yesterday 13:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved