Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 201

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Tips for moving a Patrician that has been parked for 35+ years?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Fibonachu
See User information
The only options I see are the extra spotlight that turns with the wheels and the power steering.

No overdrive, ac, power windows, etc. I didn't have a wire brush to clean the engine code off well enough to read. I found it, but can't read it until it gets cleaner.

Once I get it drug home I will add it to the registry.

Posted on: 6/27 22:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Usually there are a pair of fog or sometimes driving lights in the location next to the bumper uprights. Unless there is something missing from the other side then if the single front spot or driving light does turn with the wheels it may be aftermarket but was not a 53 Packard option. I don't think I have ever seen one so if you could provide more details and a photo or two of the mechanism after you get into the car a bit more it would be appreciated

I do see a signal seeking radio, power antenna, rear seat speaker and heater which were technically all options but more than likely would have been included with a top of the line Patrician -- but not always. Unless empty holes are hidden by the drooping loom on the left inner fender, I don't see any evidence it ever had a windshield washer. Packard promoted those as a safety item for several years and tried to get dealers to install them on most cars so that not being on a Patrician is kind of interesting.

Posted on: 6/27 22:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Fibonachu
See User information
I have not found the list of options in the literature archive. I will find it and do a more thorough inspection this weekend.

My goal today was to ID what tools and level of effort I would need to get it home and the answer is thankfully minimal.

Posted on: 6/27 22:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
We are missing any 53 specific build or accessory info but there is the build sheet and RPO or production code list for 52 and 54 in the misc Packard information category. The lists are very similar so you can get a fairly good idea what was available for 53 by comparing them. The only things on the lists specifically not available in 53 was the gear start Ultramatic and the 4 way electric seat. Those were both introduced in 54. I believe the accessory folders for those years are in the sales info section as are the sales fact and data books but again nothing for 53.

Posted on: 6/27 23:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The running lights that turned with the wheels were early prewar and never available on later cars. What you have is a fog/running light although they were generally added in pairs.

Posted on: 6/27 23:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Your car looks pretty complete and unmolested, a good thing in my opinion. I think you'll find that you have the original 9 main bearing 327 in your car. (My Cavalier has the 5 main 327)

I have kept my car very original. Packard engineered everything to work together, and I think Packard was leading the pack when it came to engineering. When maintained, the engine, transmission, brakes, cooling system, carburetor, 6 volt system, etc. all work very well.

I too have the Wonderbar radio and it is a favourite feature, it never fails to impress everyone! I have a friend that restores antique radios and he went through it and got it working perfectly. Not a priority at this point, but it's a fun to have!

You have no shortage of work to do on your Patrician, but I think you'll be surprised by how well made your car is, and by how many things only require some TLC and they are ready to go for another 71 years.

My car was not running or driving when I bought it and if you're like me, the first thing I wanted to do was to get it running. I think with yours I would be inclined to open up the engine and see what you have before trying roll it over and possibly causing damage. For a few days work you could pull the head, pan, pistons, valves and lifters, clean them all up, ensure everything is within spec, throw in a set of modern rings, replace what gaskets/seals you can, make sure everything is lubricated. Then you know you're good to go, and you can do all this with the engine in the car. In my mind it's cheap insurance. If your car does have 17,000 miles on it, which is quite possible, your engine may have minimal wear and with a bit of TLC it will be good to go for thousands of miles of trouble free driving.

After your engine is running you can move onto the cooling system, electrical system, transmission, brakes and drive train. Before you know it you'll be driving it, and I can tell you from experience that is an exciting day!

Posted on: 6/28 0:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Considering that a number of people back in the day got these to 100k miles with few problems, I don't see how you'd have major mechanical problems at 16k unless the car was exclusively driven very aggressively or simply not maintained. I think 116k is more likely. Even with several cars, sounds like this was on the road for 30 years and just a few thousand miles a year average will add up.

Inspect the driver's door jamb area for oil change stickers. Probably from just 1 or 2 you could tell if it's rolled over. Or papers in the glovebox.

Posted on: 6/28 5:00
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Packard did not try to use unique parts for many of their applications. For instance, the brakes are all standard Bendix set up and the parts are mostly available at any auto parts store. Wheel bearings are plentiful. There are also half a dozen dealers who specialize in Packard parts so you will be able to find anything you need.

As far as an engine rebuild, take it apart and check it first. Packard blocks were pretty hard material and you may be surprised that it is still within specs. Rings and rod bearings are common. Even the crankshaft is not hard to come by (although I would not look forward to paying to ship one, those things are heavy!). The hydraulic lifters are unique to Packard but new ones are available.

I suspect that you will find that the most expensive part of getting this car presentable will be redoing the interior. I restored a 53 Cavalier 20 years ago that looked much worse than this. I was able to find a company that made me a set of perfect fitting seat covers from patterns they had in their files. Not in the original cloth pattern but at a very reasonable price.

The big chrome grill looks pretty good and will probably polish up adequately for a driver. Try using a brass wire brush on a dremel tool and you may be amazed at what shines up. There was a chrome shortage in 1953 due to the Korean war so some of the plating was not very thick. The good news is that many trim items like tail fins, tail lights and door handles span several years.

The 53 Cavalier that I restored was bought new by my wife's father so having a family connection is nice. I had owned pre-war Packards but was never very interested in the post-war cars. However, after restoring and driving one, I can attest that they are very nice cars and easy to drive. I like the idea of going to a car show and having a unique car among the dozen '57 Chevys.

Posted on: 6/28 10:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I would really advise against using a WIRE BRUSH on chrome especially since most "brass brushes" are brass coated steel. Even "scratchless" dish sponges will scratch chrome.

Clean it with soap and water, or car/chrome cleaner, then polish it with a polishing wheel and chrome polish.

Posted on: 6/28 10:46
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I do hope that you start a separate blog of the work where you can post the progress and ask questions along the way. This keeps it all together in one place for your own reference but it also helps others later who may be doing something similar.

Posted on: 6/28 23:36
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved