Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
32 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 31

packardbill, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Tips for moving a Patrician that has been parked for 35+ years?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Appears to be a 53 from the rear. Back up lights on senior models such as the Patrician were separate in 53 but in 54 they were integrated with the tail lights. Horizontal chrome strip used as the trunk lid handle first arrived in 53 but was carried over almost unchanged thru 55.

On the registration, since so many engine, body or trim pieces of the 51-4 models will interchange and something from a scrapyard could have been slapped on a car if something got damaged the only sure way to verify year is by the vehicle number on the door jamb. It will start 26xx for a 53 and 54xx for a 54.

Doors and ignition share the round head key, glovebox and trunk share the octagonal head key. I believe that combo was chosen back in the early days so parking lot attendants could open and start the car but could not open and look thru the glovebox or trunk contents.

Posted on: 7/1 15:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If it has the original ignition switch, take it to a locksmith and have them remove the tumbler. The keycode will be stamped into it and you can make your key from that. Max Merritt has original Packard blanks of the proper shapes. The tumbler may need cleaning in order to locate and rear the code but it's right under the edge of the outer lip and on one of mine I had to use a points file across the code to make it readable. Once made, the key should also fit the doors too. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the other locks do not have the keycodes stamped anywhere

Posted on: 7/1 15:45
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fibonachu
See User information
It is a 2652 body code/patent plate, so that correlates to being a 53.

I have the ignition key, so I can get that duplicated. Who is Max Merritt? A member here?

I will see if I can get someone to pick the glovebox. I have a buddy who used to be into that kind of thing. If so, I know a good locksmith here that I think can probably make a key from the tumblers.

Posted on: 7/1 18:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Max Merrit is the name of one of the major Packard Part Vendors.

PackardParts.com

Others found in the directory.

Posted on: 7/1 19:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Maybe better to make any copies from a master made from the key code! A worn key copied will give a less than adequate copy.

Posted on: 7/1 19:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Fibonachu wrote:
I will see if I can get someone to pick the glovebox. I have a buddy who used to be into that kind of thing. If so, I know a good locksmith here that I think can probably make a key from the tumblers.

It's a 5-wafer lock. If they can't open it, they don't know how to pick locks.

On my 55 Clipper, right around when I bought it, I picked the glovebox lock in only a minute or so... into the locked position.
It was a little stuck, so I assumed it was locked. Is the keyhole vertical? If so, it's unlocked... just hold the button down and grab an edge to pull it open.

Posted on: 7/1 20:13
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fibonachu
See User information
That is also very good to know. It is vertical...

Thanks again.

Posted on: 7/1 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
The glove box is a drawer, it pulls straight out.

Posted on: 7/1 20:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved