Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Bucking Slightly at Cruising Speeds
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The flexible line appears to be in poor condition when it should have been one of the first things to replace before putting the car back on the road. Even when they look good on the outside they may have deteriorated and even collapsed internally causing blockage which can start out as intermittent before it blocks off fuel entirely. Incidentally, the same is true with the three flexible brake lines.

As for vapor lock, in all the years I've owned Packards from 1939 through 1956 I have never once had it happen, yet it seems to happen frequently to others. Not sure why that is.

Posted on: Yesterday 22:10
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe
See User information
Thanks, Don! That line is omly about two years old and came from one of the major suppliers. I put it on before I would've known better to check the ID on the hose. Sorry, should've offered that. Everything on the fuel side is basically new (or rebuilt). The tank is a stainless tank with vented cap, the lines are new, I have a WIX in-line filter before the pump, and bowl-style filter before the carb. The pump is freshly rebuilt, I used the insulators for the pump, bought and installed the fuel pump heat shield. I've really tried to meticulously manage these critical elements.

I just wondered if it was plausible that that line, even if relatively new, might be collapsing when warm. The ID really surprised me, and I would have guessed that might be an issue.

Posted on: Yesterday 23:30
Joe B.
Greenville, NC
1950 Super Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan, Model 2302-5
327 w/ Ultramatic, 6v+
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I tend to agree with Don, that is, I'm not sure why vapor locking seems to be such a common issue. My 53 Cavalier does not have this issue.

Do you have something on the line from the pump to the carb to protect it from the heat?

You mentioned that the car died after about 25 minutes, but then after using the electric fuel pump it started back up. How did it run after you started it back up?

I get this feeling that something is being overlooked. The symptoms sounds similar to those if you didn't have a vented fuel cap.

Maybe get a length of fuel line and a jerry can, and bypass the fuel tank and supply line completely to see if that makes a difference.

If your car running hot? Was it a hot day this last time it died? My sense if that the vapour lock, if that's what's happening, is a symptom of another issue.

There are been several new items added, one of them may be at fault, even though they are new or rebuilt.

Posted on: Today 0:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If the hose wasn’t made of a material that can handle modern fuels, it’s definitely a possibility that it’s gone bad but easy to remove and check. I have also only ever used stock fuel filters which for mine are the glass bowl type attached to the carburetor although admittedly some have had modern paper elements inside. Although many seem to recommend it, I would never put a filter before the pump..

As for all the vapor lock issues that get reported, I would bet that only a tiny percentage are actually vapor lock! Once we convince ourselves of that diagnosis, we start looking for everything that might cause it rather looking for the actual problem. If, as you say, your fuel system has been rebuilt and the pump has the proper pressure, then be sure it has the insulator sleeves and washers, that the heat shield is mounted over the pump and that the insulator is on the line from the pump to the carburetor. Also be sure that the line is steel or stainless steel, not copper.

Posted on: Today 1:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved