Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
312 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 309

BigKev, Joe Santana, 6volt, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 36 37 38 (39) 40 »

Re: Mike's 53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Mine didn't have the large washers on it, but I'm probably not a good data point. My locks have never worked that well and the guy before had taken everything off at one point for paint. So I have no idea if they were on there originally.

HPH, the beltline weatherstrip (fuzzies) can be had from multiple sources. Steele, Rubber the Right Way, and Restoration Specialties come to mind. I got mine from Restoration Specialties. I measured the remnants of the originals and then found some replacements that were close.

-Kevin

Posted on: 9/24 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks Kevin. From his picture I was picturing the fabric sleeve (and wondering why he was replacing it). Thanks, makes sense now. 😃

Posted on: 9/24 11:40
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi guys.
The horizontal fuzzies that Go along the beltline are the ones I replaced. They are from steele. I had two leftover from doing the clipper.
The Vertical Channels are different than what I have in the clipper, so that might get done at a later date.
I think I will keep the big washers, and may add a thin plastic washer so nothing rattles. Lets see if anybody else with convertible/hardtop knowledge chimes in. Thanks!

Posted on: 9/24 12:41
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1953 Caribbean, 1969 912, 1990 Miata
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Mike, for the rear channels of the door window....I used part number 10-389X from Rubber the Right Way. It's not labeled for Packards but I worked with them trying out different samples until we found the right one. It's a perfect fit in the rear channel, no glue.

Here's the post where I installed new run channels in my car.

Posted on: 9/24 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks Kevin, is it something like 50 bucks for an 8 foot section? Does it ship rolled up, or straight!!??
I plan on being in Pittsburgh in Oktober, so can start ordering some more parts.

Posted on: 9/24 15:44
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I don't have a picture of it, but I'm pretty sure it was a special shouldered bolt that acted as the pivot for the door lock knob assembly. They probably lost it, or it was broken, so they replaced it with whatever hardware they had lying around.

Posted on: 9/24 15:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks for the tip about Rubber the right way. I ordered some more fuzzies and window channels just like in your Panama. Some bitumen sound deadening is also in the mail. I hope to get the doors feeling solid and rattle free.
Cleaning and lubing the lock mechanism has helped, and I put a plastic disk, and a rubber washer behind the metal washer to quiet up the lock mechanism. I'll have to make sure everyting still works when I put the door panel back on.
The bent threaded rod in my last pic actually looks OEM. The washers are a little hokey, but they seem to work.
I'll post a pic later of my washer/spacer setup that feels pretty good.

Posted on: 9/25 9:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Mike - the part I used for the rear channel is flexible. I ordered 2x two foot sections, which was more than enough. The front channel on the door window is rigid. I used 10-154X, which has no stainless beading. My car didn't have the stainless beading originally, so I went with what would have been original to the car. Yours may have had stainless beading on the run, not sure.

Getting new window runs made all the difference in my doors. No rattling from the windows now. I do have a rattle on my passenger side, but I think it's from the adjustment screws for the vent window. I had adjusted it quite a bit to get the window to line up better and I must not have tightened one of the nuts down enough.

-Kevin

Posted on: 9/25 10:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am sure a convertible door is probably different, but here are two pictures of what the front and rear doors look like on my '54 sedan. (Click on them and zoom in)

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

The rear door has the large headed screw/bolt that the lock lever pivots on.

I don't have a clear enough picture of the front door. But I think it hooks directly to the lock assembly.

Posted on: 9/25 13:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks Kevs, (Kevins?)
There were a buch of things loose, so just tightening everything will be an improvement, but new window runs will be the final Touch later on.
The internal mechanism on the lock is the same as big kev's front doors, and like my clipper. However the rod that you push/pull with your Fingers is different. The caribbean has an L shaped rod, and that is what you can see sticking horizontal out the door. I installed a plastic piece cut from an ice cream container, a rubber washer, and a rubber sleeve inside the metal washer so nothing jiggles. We will see if the lock works when I get the door cards back on.

Attach file:

jpg  20240925_213330.jpg (3,994.69 KB)
657_66f475b9b9740.jpg 4000X3000 px

Posted on: 9/25 15:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 36 37 38 (39) 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved