Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

Ozstatman, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front Lever Shocks???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi All, one of my winter projects is to replace the front lever shocks in my '39 Six. A P.O. has jury rigged a pair of tube shocks as a 'cheap fix' for the worn out lever units original to the car. I will send mine to Apple Hydraulics in New York and get them to bebuild - my question is: How big/difficult a task is it to R&R them?? I have perused the pictures on Apple's site and it would appear there are 4 significant bolts holding the body to the frame and 1 large bolt throught the 'upright spindle' (not sure of the nomenclature here) that need to be removed to get the shock free. Other than these being on there since Roman times and probably horribly frozen, is there anything else one needs to do to effect removal?? I intend on jacking the front end up so as to compress the spring - is this correct or would I be 'loading' the connections?? Any tips from 'those who have done it' would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Chris

Posted on: Yesterday 17:10
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Front Lever Shocks???
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
You may need to remove the inner fender panel on one or both sides. The four large bolts hold the shock body to the frame, and a single bolt attaches the outer end of the shock arms to the king pin support. You may find washers between the bottom of the shock body and the frame. Make a note of where they go and how many are at each bolt, and put them back exactly as they were so the shock body will sit flat on the frame. You'll need to support the kingpin support and brake drum when you take the single bolt out, and you will find a special "pilot" washer in each of the shock arm ends. These are to adjust the wheel alignment and you need to remove and keep track of them and put them back exactly as they were. They have different bolt hole offsets and need to be kept in order. The 4 shock body bolts may come out easily, since most of them have been more or less oily most of the time. It may be possible to spray penetrating oil on the lower ends of the bolts by spraying it up toward the top of the coil springs inside the frame. *!!Be sure the weight of the car is resting on the springs and that everything is supported securely!! You cannot remove the single bolt at the outer shock arm ends unless the weight of the car is resting on the front springs!!*

See shop manuals for more info.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As a safety, I would chain or use a heavy duty strap to secure the lower "a" to the frame. It's just a belt and braces to keep the spring where it should be in event the weight comes off of it for whatever reason.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Txgoat,
That is a very comprehensive and instructive reply - thank you! I will follow your instructions to the letter taking pictures and making notes as I go. I have a '38/'39 owners manual but I will have to try and access the shop manual on here as I didn't think the owners publication covered them. Thanks again. Chris.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Noted Kev - good advice; I'll do it. Chris

Posted on: Yesterday 21:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The springs can be very dangerous, so use care. The spring pressure will have to be taken off the kingpin support in order to remove the shocks. If you can secure the lower control arms to the frame before lifting the front wheels completely off the floor, that will do, as long as everything is fastened very securely. You need to see some clearance between the upper strikeout bumper on the frame and the shock arm before taking any bolts out. You need very secure blocking since you will be removing large bolts and you will be halfway under the car while doing the work.

PS: The shaft ends at the inner ends of the shock arms are of two different sizes, and one particular size should be toward the front of the car when the shocks are installed. On each shock, one shaft end is about the size of a dime and the other is about the size of a nickle. The larger end should face the front of the car on both sides. (This is on the 1937 120, check manuals to be sure)

Posted on: Yesterday 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Absolutely no reason to remove the spring to take off the shocks. Kev gives a good safety tip regarding making sure the spring doesn't come out, but I never did that and had no problem.
I highly suggest you go to post #50 in my restoration blog, where I start with my shock removal. All you need to do is put a jack stand under the suspension, as if the car was sitting on the ground.

packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb ... ic_id=4307&order=ASC&status=&mode=0

Posted on: Today 11:23
West Peterson
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Also, I suggest using Five Points Classic Auto Shocks, a family-owned shop that's been refurbishing all types of early lever-action shocks for well over 25 years. Father/son shop: Jerry & Mathew White. San Diego

Posted on: Today 11:30
West Peterson
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When I did mine, I believe I put the jack stand directly under the spring on the lower A-arm. Then, I used a heavy-duty ratchet strap that went through the jack stand and up and over the frame. That kept everything together as a unit, and the spring compressed at its normal "resting" position regardless of what happened anywhere else.

Posted on: Today 12:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved