Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: 1950 packard 288 engine just rebuilt now has water in the oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Water or other coolant will expand considerably at operating temperature and return to its original volume when it cools. A freshly filled cooling system may contain some trapped air. Air dissolved in the water will be expelled when the water is heated, which might reduce volume slightly. The engine should have a thermostat installed and should reach full operating temperature for 20 minutes or more. Ideally, it would have some load applied. It is normal for some moisture to be expelled at the exhaust. Burning one gallon of gasoline yields just over three gallons of water, most of which will be expelled at the exhaust as steam. Some of it will reach the crankcase. Getting the engine up to operating temperature for 20 minutes or so will remove it.

I would run the engine through 6 or more warm up and cool down cycles, and retorque the head in the process, following proper procedure. It's best to run the engine at various speeds and loads for an hour per cycle. This helps seat rings and will avoid water condensation collecting in the crankcase.

To sum up, I would watch for water in the oil pan, and observe the coolant level over several run cycles without adding any coolant.

Posted on: Today 9:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 packard 288 engine just rebuilt now has water in the oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I agree with TxGoat, and I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but be extra extra sure you don't have water in your oil again. I would loosen the drain plug to see if any water is present in the pan. If there doesn't appear to be any oil, then I would proceed like TxGoat suggested.

If you start it back up again I would pull the dip stick after it's run for a minute to make sure your oil is clear and not foamy.

In the service manual Packard suggests running a new/rebuilt engine at higher rpms to make sure the rings get adequate lubrication.

Posted on: Today 9:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved