Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: John’s ‘53 Caribbean
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
Thanks for the response. I will work idle down after completing vacuum lines and all adjustments. Never got direct drive engaged as I will need tires for that. Mine are so bad they make squeegeeing noise upon any movement. I only drove a couple houses then backed home to avoid turning stress. Boy Coker prices have shot up, looking elsewhere. Maybe DB?

Tank purge share. Looked in tank, lots of goo., no rust. 41 year old goo, before alcohol. I blew air back towards tank, plugged. I added length to fuel line to get well above tank and dumped gum out in. Everyday adding more. Eventually could blow air through. Put 2 gal gas in tank let it sit overnight. Blew from tank and captured , yellow, think beer. Next day blew some more, now darker, think stout. Kept on and getting lighter and started car. Hopefully avoiding dropping the tank, at least for now, maybe.

Posted on: Today 15:18
 Top  Print   

Re: John’s ‘53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
John - beautiful Caribbean. I would love to have that car as a project.

Take a look at DiamondBack tires. Not cheap (nothing is) but they do have the correct profile tires in the Auburn Deluxe Radials. They did just have a flash sale yesterday on a different style of tire that was 4 tires shipped for $950 total. They are the same tires I have on my Panama. I was tempted to get another set with the deal, whitewalls and everything, but I don't have anything to put them on right now.

The fuel tank likely has rust on the top of the tank (maybe). The varnish from the tank can cause real problems, so hopefully you got it all out. Radiator shops used to boil out tanks all the time, but none around me do it anymore. I would suggest dropping the tank and cleaning it better, but more to allow yourself access to the sender. You'll want to test it and be sure it works or replace it. And also consider cutting a hole in the trunk floor to allow access to the sender in the future without having to drop the tank. I wish I would've cut a hole in my trunk the first time I dropped the tank. Since then I've had to drop it at least 3 other times to try and fix problems with the sender. I finally cut a hole and now it's a breeze if I ever have to get to it again.

I'm throwing together a video on dropping the tank here in the next few days hopefully. Pretty self-explanatory but maybe helpful for those who haven't done it before.

-Kevin

Posted on: Today 16:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved