Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 100

Todd W. White, Christopher, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 152 153 154 (155)

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Mission creep:
Click to see original Image in a new window

Rusty's tires were all unable to hold air. That made loading and unloading the car a nightmare. And the car was unable to be moved from it's initial resting place. I need to be able to move the car so that I can pull the engine and trans before winter time.

What started as removing the wheels to have the old tires removed, morphed into "why not clean up the wheels while the tires are off?"

Then it was rust removal and paint prep

Primer, then sanding

Painted with Massey Ferguson Red. 8:2:1 was the ratio I started with. A painter friend of mine recommended doing more hardener for more gloss and a harder finish. That's what I did and it seemed to work well.

Wrapped with 235/75-15 Hankook Kinergy with thin white walls. They were about $90 on Amazon. I wasn't feeling straight black walls, and I certainly wasn't going to spend the money of wide whites. There were no used tires available that would fit, so new tires were what I had to do.

The tires on the Panama are 225/75-15 and they almost seem a little undersized to me. I wanted to try the 235's to see how they fit and looked. Now I have spare wheels and tires for both my car and my brother in law's '52. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can return Rusty to the road, though probably not with a full restoration.

-Kevin

Posted on: Yesterday 21:51
 Top  Print   

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Nice job, Kevin. Cleaning up the rims helps prevents flats from leaks. I have a new set of wheels from David Moe via Flackmaster being checked for cracks and “trueness”, sand blasted and powder coated this week. The holes in the rims had gotten too big for safety. Over 450,000 miles of pneumatic wrenches will do that. Hope they look as good as yours.

Posted on: Yesterday 23:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 152 153 154 (155)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Upcoming Events
46th Annual Texas Packard Meet
04/03/2025 - 04/06/2025
Packard Salon - Calling All Twelves
05/27/2025 - 05/29/2025
58th Annual National Meet
05/31/2025 - 06/06/2025
South Pacific Packard Club 2026 Rally
03/22/2026 - 03/28/2026
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved