Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 29 »

Re: Carl's 1952 Packard 300
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
The engine block on my 52 Packard 327 inline 8 is cast iron, right?

I'm getting ready to rent an arc welder and "6011" sticks to try and weld a head onto this broken stud that has part of an extractor stuck in it.

I may hire someone with a small blow torch to try and blow out the stud. It's 3/8" and recessed into the block around 1/8 - 1/4".

You can see in the attached pictures that drilling is not working for me, the bits go around the extractor. I've been working on this for several weeks and cannot get it out. A machinist I know really recommends trying to weld a head onto the stud again, saying the weld won't bond with the cast iron around it.

The engine block is cast iron, right? Magnets stick to cast iron, right?

Attach file:

jpg  (113.26 KB)
471_4a26e1158c850.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (173.15 KB)
471_4a26e1212adc3.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/6/3 15:47
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes, it is cast iron.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Thanks Eric. Any luck finding that tranny oil pan?

Posted on: 2009/6/3 16:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Carl, good luck getting the broken stud and extractor out, and when you do (and I'm sure you will) let us have the details. You can never successfully drill out thru a broken extractor without first annealing (softening) it, they are just too hard and of course never break with a flat surface. Annealing with a torch, then using an end mill or similar to provide a flat surface, careful center-punching and drilling can be successful.

I won't even keep extractors in my tool box.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes, I was just up there this Monday, forgot all about it! I gotta go back up there later this week, I'll pick it up then.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
good luck carl! we use this process to remove broken bolts and studs at our shop. the problem is, as owen stated heating an extractor weakens it. so a bolt with an extractor in it is a b%$ch to get out! however, it is the only way i'd even think of try'n to get that one out!

Posted on: 2009/6/3 19:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
if the engine is out of the car, you should be able to find a machine shop with an EDM. They can use it to remove the metal around the extractor and the broken bolt as well. I have no idea what they will charge for this process, but I'll bet it's a lot less than a new motor.
HTH,
John

Posted on: 2009/6/3 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
that's true also. but i don't think carl want's to pull it. and he can get it with the weld method. i just think it'll be aggervating for a while due to the extractor

Posted on: 2009/6/3 20:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Thanks all - it's been a learning process. I'm going to rent the arc welder tomorrow and buy the 6011 rods (1/8th dia) to try and burn into the stud with the weld. (the mig weld didn't hold, broke where the weld hit the stud). The machinist friend said put globs on top of globs, get a lot of weld in there, clean off the slag as I go, and then weld a nut on the top.

I'm soaking it in PB Blaster right now, with a cup held to the side to hold a cap full of PB Blaster against the stud to totally soak it in.

To anneal the extractor metal, will I need more than my MAPP gas? Do I need to rent an oxy/act torch to get the extractor hot enough to soften?

Posted on: 2009/6/3 22:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
If the extractor is still brittle, you may be able to shatter it with a few well placed hits using a sharp center punch and hefty hammer.......or possibly drill some smaller holes into the remains of the bolt/stud around the edge of the extractor to loosen it up.
John

Posted on: 2009/6/3 23:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 29 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved