Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Another Question about my 48/ 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Thank you for your kind words.

The post on reviving a long dormant engine is something I have posted on various old car bulleting boards at least 10 times. Frankly I am tired of typing it out over and over and over so now I just hit the highlights.

If anyone wanted to make it a sticky I could add other tips and cautions. Basically I want to advise everyone in this situation, how not to damage anything and how to get your engine running as easily as possible.

If the engine is in decent shape you can then go on to change oil, scrape out the crankcase, get new plugs and plug wires, overhaul the carb and fuel pump and do a complete tuneup.

Of course there is no point in doing all that if the engine has to come out for a complete rebuild. Or, if a proper rebuild is beyond the skills and pocketbook of the owner then the best thing to do might be to sell the car to someone who can do it justice. In either case it is best to get the engine running and evaluate its condition before spending large amounts of time and money.

I have seen several cars ruined by people who tore everything apart then lost parts or broke them or left the car sitting and rusting up for years. In many cases the cars had little or nothing wrong. A waste of time and money and good cars that could have been avoided if they had the savvy to figure things out in the first place.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 12:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved