Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Lubrication Note
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the correct info, I'll try to remember those details.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 13:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
If I am hearing you all right that some of the Alemite fittings on my car I need to use oil instead of grease?

Well I used grease before my restoration. All parts have been cleaned and are ready for fresh oil or grease.

Reminder to self check owners manual for schedule

Thanks guy for the info.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 14:27
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,
I'm having difficulty locating the Alemite oil nipples that you mentioned on this thread. Have you got a picture of the type you use or even better a supplier of the nipples and oil gun.
Thanks
Terry

Posted on: 2009/6/9 3:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, the "oil nipples" you refer to are just ordinary Alemite grease fittings, at least that's what I found on the car and that's what I've continued to use - haven't even changed any of them.

The standard Alemite fittings have a small opening for the lubricant and behind it is a spring-loaded ball check valve. The needle tip of my oiler just pushes the ball check aside, allowing the oil to be forced in.

I'm not sure if new pressure oilers like the kind I pictured are still in manufacture; I quickly browsed some of the better catalogs of machine equipment suppliers and didn't see any, but I can't call that an exhaustive search. And as I said, they are seen so commonly at flea markets. The maker of mine, Lincoln, was and may still be a large maker of lubrication equipment, many service stations here use their grease stations, gear oil pumps, etc. Perhaps a Google would yield some info.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 8:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Might have a look at Restoration Supply.http://www.restorationstuff.com/Catalog/catalog.html

You'll have to download their catalog, but on the one I have from a few months ago (#26), starting on page 14 there is a good selection of fittings and various adapters for grease guns.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 9:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, they do have a great assortment and one that hobbyists should become familiar with. But what i believe we were looking for was a pressure oiler such as pictured previously in this thread, or something equivalent.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 9:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know but in trying to be brief, skipped the details.

The reason I brought it up is we had to come up with something for a piece of medical equipment a few years back and wound up adapting a regular grease gun with a flex hose (old kind you put real grease in, not the cartridge type). Used a similar pointed adapter so it went into a fairly small hole. Worked very nicely to put in the needed oil under fairly substantial pressure. Don't remember the weight of oil but was thick enough the gun worked well. Thought the same principle might work here.

EDIT: Of course, things like this are around if they would work. Not sure what they are calling high pressure or how much you need on those fittings you're working with. Not impressed with the plastic on this one but all metals can be found.http://grizzly.com/products/H7616

Posted on: 2009/6/9 10:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Great, that will no doubt help folks trying to find the equipment for the factory-recommended lubrication method. Needle tips for a grease gun, as shown on the picture of the oiler, are readily available, perhaps at a good local auto parts shop. Also look at MSC's item# 09119884 and McMaster's #1090K54.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Thanks Fellas,
If they are just standard type grease nipples I can handle that. Just need to find the oiler similar to Daves.
Terry

Posted on: 2009/6/9 14:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
While searching for my roof material I stumble over these Alemite Straights at
Restoration Supply Company page 17. The ones on my car are the third one down on the left.

Now only if I can find the roof moldings

Posted on: 2009/6/9 20:36
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved